Friday, December 03, 2021

Indians (Not Cowboys)

This is another one of those records that I've been after for a long time, but to no avail. I thought I had it about two years ago at a Goodwill store when I found a whole cache of albums by the same artist, but when I pulled out the record from the sleeve, it was the wrong one. Then I went through all the other records in the stack, and they were all the right record for the sleeve they were in. So I missed out, though I still bought the sleeve because it was in really nice shape. I finally gave up the search and paid a little more for a copy from Discogs, and that's what I'm sharing with you today (though the scan is that empty sleeve I found way back when, it was in pretty nice shape). If you're looking at this cover and thinking you're going to get music that sounds like anything from Native Americans, you may be disappointed. The Klaudt Indian Family was a traveling family who went from town to town preaching their version of the gospel. And their gimmick was a tenuous claim to Native American ancestry. I really shouldn't say tenuous, because I don't know really, maybe they actually were Native Americans. But they certainly played it up in a way that would be severely frowned upon today. If you look on the back of this LP, you'll see a picture of them dressed up in their full Indian regalia. Again, I don't know if they maybe had some legitimate ties to Native American tribes, but I kinda doubt it. Anyhow, it's good music, and I think you might enjoy it. This is The Klaudt Indian Family-Peace On Earth-Christmas Greetings (Family Tone Records KF-908, Mono, 1964). There are also two tracks on here that are just solo organ performances by Larry Turner, whoever he is. Read the sleeve notes and you'll know about as much as I do. I seem to remember there was a song listed on the sleeve that wasn't on the actual vinyl. What's up with that?

1. Indian Christmas Carol
2. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
3. The Coventry Carol
4. O Come All Ye Faithful
5. Away In The Manger
6. Angels From The Realms Of Glory
7. Oh, Holy Night by Larry Turner
8. Joy To The World
9. Silent Night
10. Oh, Thou Joyful Day
11. Caroling, Caroling
12. I Saw Three Ships
13. What Child Is This
14. White Christmas

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. You were after this one for a long time? How did you even know it existed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a quick Ancestry search for documentation and it turns out the matriarch of the family was Native American. She was born in 1906 in North Dakota and appeared on Indian Census rolls for several years as a member of the Arikara tribe. I've never heard of these folks, but I'm thrilled and somewhat amazed that you continue to uncover these unique items year after year. I seem to keep finding the same albums no matter where I look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As @auntseesha said, the mum was of Native American ancestry. Wikipedia even says she was a descendent of Chief Sitting Bull! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaudt_Indian_Family But the Dad was German...

    It's good stuff, thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for doing all the research, folks. Looks like the family did have some claim to a Native American heritage, but I'm still not sure how well executed it was. This was a share once from my friend Capt OT at his long idle blog. It seemed like the sort of thing I should have found first, but it took me a long time to find it, and him to tell me it existed. I think there'll be at least one more share this season that I first learned about from him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this is a new one to me - thank you

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...