Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Another Ellsasser

I love when I can add something to an artist's discography that I've covered before. In this case, it's a whole new album for a guy that has already seen a couple different albums shared out here at the blog. Previously, we've seen a Christmas album from Richard Ellsasser, as well as a winter-themed album. That Christmas album was even issued under an entirely new cover and almost got posted as something new before I realized it was just a reissue on a subsidiary label of the original. (There are also a few tracks from Chirstmas in July past as well, if you dig hard enough.) But this one is truly brand new to us and is sure to be a great addition to the year. This is Richard Ellsasser-Joy To The World (MGM E3271, The Organ Of The John Hays Hammond, Jr. Museum Gloucester, Massachusetts With The Deagan Celesta-Chime, Mono, 1955). In the interest of correctness, I should say that I'm not sure this 12" LP was issued in 1955. There was a 10" version in 1955, and I couldn't confirm the 12" came out the same year. But close enough for this blog.

1. Joy To The World
2. Silent Night
3. Away In A Manger (Luther's Cradle Hymn)
4. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
5. Carol Of The Bells
6. O, Come All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles)
7. What Child Is This? (Greensleeves)
8. The Holly And The Ivy
9. Three Old English Carols
10. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
11. The First Noel
12. Good King Wenceslas
13. Veni, Emmanuel
14. Bring A Torch, Jeanette, Isabelle
15. O Little Town Of Bethlehem

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. Both Sides Now has the 10-inch as 1953, the 12-inch as 1955, which seems right. I've never seen either one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking. I've not been doing my due diligence on some of these posts. I didn't even realize I had this record. I was looking for a copy at eBay and Discogs, then stumbled across it in the stacks one day while looking for something else. I must have bought it and promptly forgot about it. It may have been something I snagged in NYC a couple years ago, it was near that stack of records in the stacks. Ever get the feeling you have two many records? Does that feeling last long? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get that feeling every time I stare down the aisles of the collection. I would love to have more, however.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for all your wonderful posts of holiday music! Your labor of love in greatly appreciated. (On this record two tracks are mislabeled. Track 13 is not Bring A Torch, Jeanette but rather Veni, Emmanuel. Track 13 is Bring A Torch, Jeanette.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are correct, I do seem to have them backwards. I know I had trouble cutting those two track up, and saved them wrong a couple of time. And I just noticed that the Label says Isabelle, but the sleeve says Isabel (and I don't think it's on the front cover at all, must have been a track added to the 10"). I updated the tracklist in the post, but I didn't update the download, I'm lazy. Thanks for listening better than I did! :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...