Tuesday, January 03, 2023

Count To Twelve

How much Christmas music do I have left to share? It's starting to scare even me, but I promise it's not too much more. Just a few singles between now and the end. Just delete some old college pictures from your hard drive and you'll have plenty of room. Tonight's blast from the hi-fi is Frank Kelly with Christmas Countdown b/w Yuletide Moonshine (Ritz 7" 45 RPM RITZ 062, Stereo, 1983). This is not what you think it is, unless you think it's a retelling of The Twelve Days Of Christmas from a reverse angle. It's long, but it's interesting.

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. The label looks suspiciously like this could be disco, one of my no-fly zones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this record got at least some airplay as an import in the USA. I can't find any domestic release of the single, but I remember grandmother was talking about hearing "the poor Irishman who was buried in bird droppings for Christmas" that she heard on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I first listened to it, it seemed vaguely familiar. I never know if that's an old memory of hearing it on the radio or of hearing it more recently on a compilation somewhere. Thanks for sharing a memory!

      Delete
  3. No, thank *you* for posting it! Forty years after she mentioned it, I finally got to hear what tickled her funny bone.
    I've always suspected that DJs in both the US and UK copied records for one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there's a lot of cross-pollination, especially as the world becomes smaller from faster communication. Local hits have become less and less of a thing over time.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...