Monday, January 02, 2023

A Christmas Beatles Tangent

Here I am, drawing this season out as long as possible. Today's share is by Elaine And Derek And The Rita Williams Singers, and the record features It's Christmas b/w The Christmas Story (Veejay 7" 45 RPM VJ 415, Mono, 1961). This appears to have been a recording that originated in England on the Parlophone label right before the Beatles signed up. I wonder if George Martin had any connection with this recording? And maybe it's not a coincidence that the first Beatle LP to be released in the US came out on the VeeJay label. I suspect they had some sort of agreement. It didn't sell right away, and eventually The Beatles got shuttled off to Capitol in the US, and the rest, as they say, is history. None of that has anything to do with this record, I'm just looking for stuff to talk about. Enjoy!

MEGA

8 comments:

  1. Ernie,
    Have enjoyed your blog off-and-on over the years, especially the Gospel recordings and the 78 collections, which, I'm way behind on both, gotta catch up sometime. This might be readily available, but, do you happen to have The Four Aces Jingle Bells b/w The Christmas Song? We had that 45 as kids, my older brother and I (probably given to us by our Pawpaw) and I still remember my first reactions to each side. One, that has to be the most-classic non-fade ever done and two, I know it's a Christmas song! If you have this, I'd love to get it again. 'Til later, love and praying for y'all!

    Romans 11:33-36 KJB

    Josh
    Personal Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
    Phone Ministry: (563) 999-3967
    TIBPF Podcast: http://www.tibpf.sermon.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note. I'm sure I have that single somewhere, but like you said, I think it's pretty easily available legally out there somewhere. Pretty sure I've got a non-LP single from them somewhere around here... Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. I love their accents! 😄 (I found they were from Northern Ireland!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ernie,
    After writing my previous comment, I did what I should-a-done first and that is, Search the blog. Of course, I found where you posted the full album and of course, I also found the inoperative link. Maybe a repost next time around? 'Til later, love and praying for y'all!

    Romans 11:33-36 KJB

    Josh
    Personal Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
    Phone Ministry: (563) 999-3967
    TIBPF Podcast: http://www.tibpf.sermon.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen it out as a legal download somewhere at some point, so I don't think it's going to show up here. I try to shy away from stuff that's available through a legit download or streaming service.

      Delete
  4. Derek and Elaine Thompson were brother and sister. He went on to become a well-loved actor in the BBC hospital soap/drama 'Casualty'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's good to know! So this is a bit of a celebrity record, but only to English folks. :) Thanks for the note, and Merry Christmas!

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...