Monday, June 30, 2008

Garfield, Not The Cat


In what may be a first for the blog, I bring you a picture of a dead president. The flag-draped coffin on the left is that of James Garfield, 20th president of the United States of America. Garfield was assassinated after only four months in office (actually dying some two months later), and his remains were interred in a specially-built mausoleum in Cleveland some time later. It's a beautiful structure, and I hope to bring you more pictures of it later. But I wanted to share something quickly with you tonight, and this is what you get. This is the crypt located in the bottom of the structure. It's lit by a single small bulb and a little bit of light streams through some small windows, so I took this picture in almost no light and hand-held. Don't look too close, because it's a little blurry, but it's still good enough to get the point across to you. I believe that's his wife in the other coffin. At the rear, hidden behind that other coffin, are two urns, containing the cremated remains of their daughter, and I think her husband, but I'm not sure at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...