Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Oodles Of Doodles CCXCIV


I heard a request for doodles about St. Louis, so here you go! OK, I know that no one actually requested this, but it could happen. And if these 12 things all have something to do with the St. Louis area, where's the arch? Well, it's on the cover, of course. I'm not even sure what some of these are supposed to be, so maybe someone from the area can clue us in as to what we're looking at, and why. These doodles come from the various artists LP Meet Me In St. Louis (Norman NS 212, 1969). I guess it was issued as a civic pride sort of thing, since I don't know how many people would want to take home a musical souvenir of their trip to St. Louis. Having said that, I notice the subtitle on the cover is "A Musical Souvenir". There is also a sticker on there saying Wetterau Foods, Inc, 100 Years Of Service, 1869-1969. So maybe they gave these away to employees and customers. That would make more sense to me than hoping people might actually purchase the record.

3 comments:

  1. I can help some, but I lived there 25 years and don't recognize some. From left to right, top to bottom: Statue of St. Louis (King Louis IV) in front of art museum; ??; ??; St. Louis Cardinals baseball; Cardinals football, back in the day; polar bears at the St. Louis zoo; Jewel Box (?); the old science center, now planetarium; Anheuser-Busch; ??; the old courthouse; Botanical Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can help with a few other ones, since I live close to St. Louis. Starting at the top row, numbering them 1 to 4 and then starting with 5 to 8 for the second row and 9 to 12 for the last row:
    1. Statue of King Louis IV.
    2. The IMAX Dome museum across the interstate from the Science Center, which is #8.
    3. Gemini 6 Space Capsule in the same museum from #2.
    4. Cardinals Baseball.
    5. Cardinals Football.
    6. St. Louis Zoo.
    7. The Jewel Box Greenhouse site.
    8. St. Louis Science Center - across the interstate from #2 and connected by an enclosed walkway that goes right over 8 lanes of traffic, with glass panels to see below!
    9. Anheuser-Busch Breweries.
    10. Old St. Louis Spirits ABA Basketball team.
    11. the Basilica of St. Louis, next to the Gateway Arch.
    12. Missouri Botanical Gardens.

    Hope this helps.
    Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh thank you I live in st lou but wish I was in tampa

    luv your site u have amazing pictures

    jaci from imperial mo

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...