Friday, October 05, 2007

Artsy


Sometimes I don't know why a record jacket sticks in my head. I've looked at this cover for weeks, but didn't buy it. I suppose my initial prejudice was because it was a classical recording. But I eventually broke down and bought it just for that cover. The record is The National Symphony Orchestra-Howard Mitchell, Conductor-Shostakovich Symphony No. 5, Op. 47 (RCA Victor Red Seal LM-2261, 1959). I believe that's supposed to be Dmitri Shostakovich there, as he would appear in a bad dream or after a night of heavy drinking. The artist turns out to be someone fairly well-known, Joseph Hirsch. I don't know him myself, but the things I don't know about art are many.

2 comments:

  1. Great pic of Shosty.

    Wouldn't mind having the symphony also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Ernie,

    My girlfriend Jamie gave me this album last night, that she bought at a thrift store, not so much because of the cover but because she know I'm a big Shostakovich fan.

    We talked about the album cover this morning as I was about to leave for work, noting that it reminded us of the bebop art of the late fifties.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...