Saturday, November 25, 2023

Christmas Stories One

The theme for today is Christmas Stories, so I'm going to start out with a record entitled Christmas Stories because I'm not very creative. I like to get these types of records out to you early, in case you want to use the spoken word bits as drop-ins on your Christmas collections. I think you might prefer to get some actual Christmas music for your collections, but that's not the way my brain works. These sorts of things require some time and planning, so I like to get them out there early. Songs you can drop in anywhere. Anyhow, we begin with Robert J. Lurtsema-Christmas Stories (Philo 1078, Stereo, 1980). Lurtsema was a classical radio guy from Boston, on the air for almost thirty years. This record comes from near the middle of that time.

1. The Gospel According To Saint Luke
2. Letter From Fra Giovanni To The Contessina, Pont Assieve, Christmas Eve, Anno Domino 1513
3. 'Twas The Night Before Christmas
4. Yes, Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus
5. Silent Night
6. The Little Match Girl
7. The Gift Of The Magi
8. The Littlest Angel

MEGA

7 comments:

  1. Interesting - I've heard of Lurtsema. Wasn't Philo a folk label?

    ReplyDelete
  2. -Yep, Philo Records was mostly folk and traditional musc in the 70s, before getting purchased by Rounder Records in the 80s. The Philo company was actually in a converted barn in Vermont! Thanks for all your great finds Ernie!
    - Steve in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, not familiar with this label at all, but I know a little about Rounder.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to grab this one just to hear that 1513 letter. The Little Match Girl story is far too depressing for me. I read it once and hope to never do so again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like stories of children freezing to death at Christmas?

      Delete
  4. Call me crazy, but stories of small children being forced out of a home by a father to try to sell matches on a freezing-cold night just don't stir warm feelings in my heart.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...