Thursday, November 23, 2023

Christmas In The Motor City 1

I've got a whole pile of little themes I want to work my way through this season. As I sorted through all the records I'd ripped, or wanted to rip, I noticed little threads of commonality here and there. Some of the threads are good solid nylon parachute cord that will hold together no matter what, and others are made of nothing more durable than dirty fairy dust, so just go with those and don't pull too hard. This first set is all tied to Detroit, Michigan, central to America's auto industry and a whole lot of great music. I don't know how much of that great music I can share with you, but there's plenty of not-so-well-known music that I can share. Here's the first of the handful. Jim Smith of Detroit-Christmas Eve...Christmas Day (Plumbline 4105N4, Stereo) is a fine gospel collection, if you're into that sort of thing.  See, Detroit is right there in the title! I seem to remember having to record this one a couple of times since the balance on my tonearm was messed up and I didn't realize it. I knew the vinyl was clean, but I kept getting skips. I got it corrected eventually, but it took a lot longer to fix than it should have. Anyhow, enjoy the music! (Oh, almost forgot to mention, that stock cover image is called Christmas Candles 2 over at Discogs, and they've collected up seven different albums, including this one, that use the same image. More on stock covers later.)

1. O Come All Ye Faithful
2. Hark The Herald Angels Sing
3. Silent Night
4. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
5. Away In A Manger
6. Joy To The World
7. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
8. White Christmas
9. Christmas Song
10. The First Noel

MEGA

2 comments:

  1. You weren't kidding about the four hour time-frame!

    I love stock covers. Thanks for the link! (Oh, and the music!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm making up a little today for lost time, but they'll start to spread out a bit later. And those stock cover collections can be fascinating. Hard to find a specific cover though without spending a lot of time just browsing.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...