Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Navy 241

In honor of it being December 7th (a day which will live in infamy, just like 9/11), I give you a small treat from the United States Navy. Two treats, actually, though not all is as it seems. This first record is actually a remaster of one I gave you many years ago, in 2007, and is one of the oldest military message records in my collection. I remember using tracks from this album on cassettes I made before the turn of the century! Lots of TV icons on this one, all encouraging you to support your seamen. This is A Different Kind Of Christmas (The United States Navy, No Number, Stereo).

1. Eddy Arnold
2. Phyllis Diller
3. Jack Webb
4. Norm Crosby
5. Florence Henderson
6. Robert Young
7. Gary Crosby
8. Shirley Jones
9. George Maharis
10. Edie Adams

(There are actually songs between each of these messages, but they're not something I should share so I'm not going to mention them.)

MEGA

And that brings us to this record, which was actually one of the things I found in the past year and was excited to share this season. But as I was recording and listening to it, it sounded very familiar. A little research led me to discover that it's the same as the record shown at the top of this post, only in a different order, and missing the greeting from Phyllis Diller. Not sure what happened to that track, but it's the only one missing from this record. So you really don't need to download this one since you already got it up above, but I've learned over the years that some people want the record they had, not just the same tracks. So if you really need this one, please feel free to download A Christmas Message (The Navy, 71349, Stereo). No firm idea when either of these records was released, but I'd say early Seventies is a good bet.

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. You have no end of Christmas-greetings records!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, digging through DISCOGS tells me that I have a long way to go, but I like to think my collection is coming along nicely. :) They're hard to find, though, both at Discogs and in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always seem to enjoy these armed forces ones Ernie. Sometimes it's other artists, sometimes its a military band or choir ... they seem to have had a certain level of quality control ;-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there's any music on this one you haven't heard elsewhere, but the greetings are nice. Until you listen to them all in a row and realize it's just a script. That sort of destroys any of the sentiment contained in the words...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These things all were scripted. You wouldn't expect the artists involved to do things extemporaneously - they just want to read what's in front of them and be off to their next engagement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and it really starts to show when you listen to the records as a whole instead of one track at a time on the radio. :)

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...