Friday, July 24, 2020

Christmas In July 2020-31

Part 31, a whole months worth of postings, but there's still a week left to go. Don't worry, there's still plenty of stuff in the pile to see us through to the end.  Now before I fall asleep, let's see if I can write up what's in the download tonight.

1. Marni Nixon-Funny Little Snowman from Songs From "Singing Fun" (Bowmar 4x10" 78 RPM 1650/1651/1652/1653, Mono, 1956). A cute little song from a rarely heard artist. I think the records were sold for educational use, and you could also order a songbook to help you sing along. Good stuff.

2. Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring, by someone who chose to remain anonymous, from Music For The Choral Ensemble Vol. XV-Young Choir Edition (Jenson Publications 2xLP JP-3500, Stereo, 1983). This demo LP was the last thing I ripped before I got tired of ripping back at the beginning of the pandemic.  I only recently got back in the mood and finished it. I was depressed to remember that the entire first record was unplayable because it was badly warped.  There were also probably a dozen more demos on there that I could have shared with you, too.

3. Nick Kenny-Scattered Toys from Nick Kenny Reads Nick Kenny (From His Book "Poems To Inspire") (Dot DLP 3427, Mono, 1962). A rare spoken word track. Some years I've had enough spoken word pieces to fill up an entire day, but not this time around. Funny how that works.

4. Frances Lai-The Christmas Trees from Love Story (Paramount PAS 6002, Stereo, 1970).  The last of the Christmas tracks from this soundtrack.  I had no idea there was anything on this record, and must have seen it hundreds of times without checking the track list.  Let that be a lesson to you, always check!

5. The Skaters by the anonymous folks at Silver Burdett Records from Making Music Your Own-Kindergarten Record IV (Silver Burdett Records 75 180 4, Mono, 1966). Man, it sure seems like there are a lot of tracks from this record. I must have posted one every other day for the whole month.

6. Christmas Spectacular! by another anonymous group, this one from Superior New Works For Concert Band Vol. XV-Advanced Edition (Jenson Publications JP-5100, Stereo, 1984). Yes, it's another demo track.

7. Lutheran High School West Concert Choir-God Rest You Merry Gentlemen from 25th Anniversary Of Cleveland Lutheran High Schools - Commemorative Album 1948-1973 (United Sound Recorders USR 5036, Stereo, 1973). More music from the Lutherans. I suppose now I have to give equal time to all the other religions.

8. King Curtis-Swingin' Shepherd Blues from Soul Serenade (Capitol T 2095, Mono, 1964). I don't think you can go wrong with some King Curtis, and he released so little Christmas music, that makes this track all the more welcome to me.

9. Billy Pressman-Nuttin' For Christmas from Dumb Ditties (K-tel NU 9330, Stereo, 1977).  Yep, another Christmas track from the record. I guess they'd throw anything on there they thought would make them a little money.

10. Hallelujah (From "Mount Of Olives"), performed by an unknown choir from Sixth Annual Albion College Invitational Choral Festival (Delta DRS81-128, Stereo, 1981).  Funny, but everything else on this record was properly attributed, but this one song seems to have lost it.

11. Regina High School Chorus-Ms. Marianne Antonich, Director-Continuing Christmas Eve from Christmas & Spring Concerts 1977-1978 (Melody Recording KM 2623, Stereo, 1978). So would continuing Christmas Eve mean Christmas day? I'm confused...

12. Floyd Cramer-Cold, Cold Heart, the Hank Williams song, from I Remember Hank Williams (RCA Victor LSP-2544, Stereo, 1962). Well, at least it had cold in the title, twice!

13. The Frankford High School A Cappella Choir-Robert G. Hamilton, Director-Break Forth O Beauteous Heav'nly Light from The Frankford High School A Cappella Choir Sings '61-'62 (Acoustic Arts Recording Studios LP 126 (Philadelphia, PA), Mono, 1962). Did we ever decide if this school actually was in the Philly area, or if that was just the record company location?

14. Polly Bergen With Frank DeVol And His Orchestra-June In January from Polly Bergen's Four Seasons Of Love (Columbia CL 1451, Mono, 1960). If it's June in January, that seems backwards from December in July.

15. The World Vision Korean Orphan Choir Directed By Soo Chul Chang With Ralph Carmichael And His Orchestra-O Come All Ye Faithful from The World Vision Korean Orphan Choir (Word W-3167-LP, Mono, 1962). An actual honest-to-goodness Christmas song. I'm impressed.

That's it, fifteen more songs, and I actually typed them all in. Are you proud of me?  Good, I'm proud of you, too, for showing up all these days this month.  Come back again tomorrow for more.  Here's the DL link.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Marni Nixon and King Curtis particularly - and thanks for resuming your commentaries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Sir, Your an inspiration to us all, in this The Year of The Dam Coronavirus-19. You have done superb this year. Now if we all could have the Best of Every Year for Christmas Re-Posted so some of those older Tunes and songs might be enjoyed one again this would be assume. I see that you did the A Blast From The Past 1 &2 - CHRISTMAS TUNES OF 2017 & 2018 recently.
    Oh Do you know any one that has The Albums of Frank Valdor..
    who might have this old Album as I am Looking for this one old Album.
    By Frank Valdor Called Scandinavian Party (and the Arne Bendiksen Singers). I can only imagine that you must have other types music also that you enjoy. I enjoy these... Disco, Halloween, Organ, Piano, Strings and Horns and many other types of Singing and Instrumental types of music.
    Its great to have these Christmas In July Albums...A Prelude to the Christmas Season. Oh Do You have any of The Firestone Presents Your Favorites. They were Christmas Vol. Albums from different years I think.
    I Wish to send You "A Very Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year..." Take Care, Stan

    ReplyDelete

  3. I had to look up Marni Nixon and I see that she died 4 years ago today at the age of 86. I recognized the name but wasn't sure why. She was a very popular "ghost singer".

    ReplyDelete

  4. Well, now I wish I had posted that previous comment a half hour earlier. Then it would still have gotten posted on July 24th. It was still the 24th here though, I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, folks. Not sure what you're doing up so late at night, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. King Curtis! That's the #1 highlight this July (so far). Not to say nothing else has gone into the "for mixes" folder - you always deliver the goods. King Curtis' version of "What Are You Doing New Years'?" is my absolute favourite New Years' track ... no lyrics - none needed. Funny, it was years before I heard the lyrics (or knew there were any) yet his version tells the tale anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was surprised by the spoken word track. As I listened to it, I could relate to parts of it. It was quite nice. Thanks for discovering and sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty sure the guy doing the spoken word thing was a DJ for a living. There was a whole spate of these things going back many years, where someone would have a big enough audience where they thought they could sell some records. Franklyn McCormack comes to mind, but there were plenty of others. I think it's a tradition that pops up even today, what was that spoken word things a couple years back about always wearing sunscreen?

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...