Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ducks And Ducks And Ducks And Ducks


As I mentioned yesterday, I don't normally pay too much attention to ducks. But these guys were too obnoxious to ignore. They circled around the Venice Rookery a dozen times before finally settling down. And then as soon as anyone disturbed them in even the slightest way, they'd take off and circle another dozen times. At least it allowed me to get a few good pictures of them in flight.






And this is what they look like on the ground. Mere seconds after this shot, they took to the air again and circled for another 20 minutes. And did I mention they didn't circle silently? No, of course not, they quacked their little duck hearts out the whole time.  Anybody want to tell me what sort of ducks these are?  Here in Florida, we're on the migration paths for so many different birds, it takes an ornithologist to keep them all straight.

2 comments:

  1. Ernie, I'm going with Black-Bellied Tree Duck (Dendrocygna autumnalis).

    Please also see, for example, http://tinyurl.com/yeoenbg, where the wikipedia uses a more contemporary name than that of my trusty Guide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, these are lovely shots of Black-bellied tree ducks, now called Black-bellied whistling ducks. A bit rare for Florida if my memory serves.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...