Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Meet Me In St. Louis

While I'm sharing out earlier parts to Christmas albums I shared out last year, here's an earlier album from the St. Louis Christmas Carols Association, the same group that brought you this album last year. For some reason I thought I had ripped this album in previous years, but never shared it. So when I went to share it recently, I found that I had never ripped it. So I had to record it in a bit of a hurry, but I think it came out pretty well.  When I went to scan it, I had to remove a price tag from Fantasyland Records in Atlanta, so I must have bought it during a trip up there four or five years ago. Naturally, I found a second copy in the archives, heaven knows how long I've had that one, or where it came from, but it wasn't in as nice a shape as the copy from Fantasyland. Anyhow, it's a surprisingly good and diverse collection of Christmas tunes by local St. Louis artists, including a couple of originals and plenty of things you don't hear often. You'll enjoy it, and if you haven't already, be sure you go download the other volume!  (PS-Barbershop Alert!!! Oh, and at least two corporate choruses!!!) This is A Saint Louis Christmas (St. Louis Christmas Carols Association TS-74-792/793, Stereo, 1974).

1. Fox Senior High School Honor Choir, Directed By Martin S. Johnson-Carol Of The Bells
2. Concert Choir, Lutheran High School South, Directed By Henry J. Engelhardt-He Lives
3. Solo And Autoharp Accompaniment By Clare Condon-Silent Night in German, French & English
4. Soldan High School Concert Choir, Directed By Charles H. Gladney, Jr.-God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen
5. Jennings Senior High School Dickens Carolers, Directed By Dr. Ron W. Phillips-Sing A Round For Christmas
6. Southwestern Bell Belltones-Serena Rowan, Soloist-O Holy Night
7. Cantor Leon Lissek-Durmé Durmé (Sephardic Jewish Ladino Lullaby)
8. Ritenour High School Choir, Directed By Allan C. Byers-What Is This Lovely Fragrance?
9. Kirkwood Chapter-Sweet Adelines, Inc.-Directed By Betty Oliver-White Christmas
10. Southwest High School Concert Choir, Directed By Miss Lee Meyer-Cradle Song Of The Shepherds
11. Rosati-Kain High School Glee Club/R.K. Voices, Directed By Sister Carol-Glory To God
12. Solo And Piano Accompaniment By Bill Benson-The Little Drummer Boy
13. Berkeley Senior High School Senior Girls Ensemble, Directed By Miss Shirley Brown-Peace, Peace
14. Fontebonne College Choir, Directed By Sister Tobias-Touro, Louro-Louro!
15. The French Class Of Immaculate Heart Of Mary School, Directed By Mrs. Agnes Jennings-Dans Cette Étable
16. The Ralston Purina Singers-Westminster Carol/Merry Christmas

MEGA

7 comments:

  1. You definitely have barbershop in there - the Sweet Adelines - along with the usual high school choirs, Bell System employees, etc. So your warning was well taken.

    Did you ever offer the several Cleveland compilations? I have seen them so often in my life, I can't recall. I suppose I could search...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I did the Akron pair, but I think the only Cleveland proper collection I did was years ago.

    https://ernienotbert.blogspot.com/2014/12/christmas-in-city.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I searched. You first offered the Delta recording back in 2006, and then a few times thereafter. It must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a post with an active download of the Cleveland Christmas record...

    https://ernienotbert.blogspot.com/2018/12/cleveland.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nah, I just try to fill the extra space at the blog with old shares that have expired. Not doing that this year because MEGA still has the last three years worth of stuff up! Not sure if many folks are taking advantage of that, but they're there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. perfect name for the phone company's group: the belltones.

    the ralston purina singers might have been better named... say, the chow-lites, the tune-chex, little kitty litter and the chowhounds. maybe it's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Chowhounds.

    Wasn't Freddie Bell's group called the Belltones? Or maybe the Bellboys.

    I looked it up - it was the Bellboys. But there was a doo-wop group called the Belltones. You can hear them here:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45P56YMqp0g

    There also is a group called Mike Bell & The Belltones in Helsinki, Finland, or so Google tells us.

    I think the Southwestern Bell people should have called themselves the Dialtones.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...