Saturday, August 05, 2006

Oodles Of Doodles CLXXVII


Been a good long time since I've brought you a doodle, so here you go. This is from the flip side of The Crew-Cuts Sing (RCA Victor LPM-2037, 1959), which was near the top of the stack because I gave you a track from it on the last day of my Christmas In July share-a-thon. I also mentioned a tag from the LP, and here it is below, "Song Fest". Enjoy!

For those of you who weren't around back in the golden age of doodles, or at least my golden age of sharing them, these bits of black and white art were commonly found on the back of old LPs from the fifties and sixties. They were a cheap way of adding a little art to the record jackets without the cost or difficulty of photos and color. Search through the blog archives and you'll find almost 200 of these jewels I put up in my first year of blogging. The tag is something you see a lot less frequently. It was used as part of the logo on records from RCA Victor from 1958 to 1961 (or thereabouts). I used to think they were all different, but I've found a few that are identical. I've even found different versions of the same LP that have different tags, although I can't remember which one that was right now...

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back, doodles! Thanks for all of these, Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the 177th doodle I've featured. The very first doodle was back in the very first week I published this blog.

    http://ernienotbert.blogspot.com/2005/03/oodles-of-doodles.html

    Those doodles were actually from an inner sleeve used by RCA in 1961. They got better from there.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...