Sunday, July 21, 2024

Christmas In July '24-Day 21

Lucky number 21, this month is finally old enough to drink. I've got the usual three tracks for you today, two new ones and a repeat from just last year. Not sure I wound up with a new copy of something I just shared last year, but that's the way these things work. The George Shearing track is an instrumental from an LP that features vocals from Mel Torme. I was a bit disappointed to find he didn't sing on this track, but I was still excited to find a Christmas song. Not the best take, I'm afraid, but you get what you get. Track two is a classical bit of fluff, written by someone who's billed as America's first great composer. And lastly the repeat track is a soundtrack cut that's kind of interesting. Enjoy!

1. George Shearing-Away In The Manger (Top Drawer, 1983)
2. The Gregg Smith Singers-Gregg Smith, Conductor-The Shepherd's Carol (The Continental Harmony-Music Of William Billings, 1969)
3. Conducted By Joseph Brooks-Christmas Song (Montage) (If Ever I See You Again, 1978)

MEGA (MP3)

MEGA (FLAC)

6 comments:

  1. it is a shame Mel didn't sing on that track. For the guy who co-wrote The Christmas Song, he doesn't seem to have recorded very much Christmas music.

    George Shearing (George Shearing - Piano; Don Thompson - Bass): https://www.discogs.com/release/2554596-George-Shearing-Mel-Torm%C3%A9-Top-Drawer

    Gregg Smith Singers: https://www.discogs.com/release/10856743-The-Gregg-Smith-Singers-William-Billings-The-Continental-Harmony-Music-Of-William-Billings/image/SW1hZ2U6MTEzMzkzNjE3

    Joseph Brooks: https://www.discogs.com/release/8295945-Joseph-Brooks-If-Ever-I-See-You-Again-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel did a full LP later in his career, but I don't remember it being all that great...

      Delete
  2. I like that little lullaby at the end of the George Shearing track - really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it kinda ran too far afield from the actual song, but that's just me.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...