Saturday, July 27, 2024

Christmas In July '24-Day 27

Another day closer to the end, and another day where I can share more tracks with you. We've gone most of the month with three tracks per day, yesterday was four tracks and today is five! How great is that? Wish I could have done that many all month, but it's just getting harder and harder to find these Christmas songs on non-Christmas records to share with you. They still turn up, but not like they used to. I guess part of that is because I don't spend the time hunting records like I used to. First the pandemic made me stay home for the better part of a year and then my GF moved in with me and there wasn't time or space to accumulate so many records. But I've still got a few for you and that's better than nothing. Let's see what's in Santa's sack for you today. I think the first track is a rerun. I remember being very excited when I found a nearly complete set of 10" records in a box that included a few Christmas tracks, but I realized while recording them that I'd gotten all the tracks years ago, likely from finding the records one at a time. Next up is a private press from Texas followed by a record that I can't remember a single thing about. Next up is the other Nutcracker Suite track by Gene Krupa that I found recently. Dunno why I've been sitting on that one so long, but I don't want to top-load the first part of the month with all the best music. Gotta save something for the end. Last is a song about the resurrection of Christ that has become a common Christmas song for whatever reason. And that's it, five more songs that get you a little closer to the complete collection. Enjoy!

1. Unknown Artist-Carol Of The Birds (Now And Long Ago-Silver Burdett Songs From Music For Living-Album 10 From Book 3)
2. Bel Canto Singers Of Boles Home, Quinlan, Texas-Directed By Dan Parkerson-Larry Davis, Soloist-What Child Is This (Count Your Blessings-Songs Of The Bel Canto Singers, Album 4)
3. Ray Repp-In The Month Of December (The Time Has Not Come True, 1969)
4. Gene Krupa-Arranged And Coducted By George Williams-March (From "The Nutcracker Suite") (Classics In Percussion!, 1961)
5. Sanctuary Choir And Sanctuary Orchestra Of The Music Ministry Of First Baptist Church Atlanta-Hallelujah (The Atlanta Passion Play, 1982)

MEGA (MP3)

MEGA (FLAC)

12 comments:

  1. I don't get out much myself any more. Makes it hard to find records!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Near as I can tell, there aren't many good records left out there anyway, and certainly not at an affordable price. It's hard. :(

      Delete
    2. I absolutely disagree with the first part of your statement and slightly disagree with the second part. I find new (old) stuff ALL THE TIME! Unfortunately my budget won't allow me to add most of them to my collection. But they're out there!

      Delete
    3. Well, perhaps I overstated the problem, but I know it's much harder to find things today than it was 20 years ago. There's just less of it out there. Plus I have a lot of it already, so there's a lot less of it that's 'new' to me. :)

      Delete
    4. I go to at least one of two thrift stores in my area every week! Some weeks are more profitable than others, yet I still find gems and better copies of some that I have had in my collection for years. Occasionally, I still find one that I have been looking to add to my collection for quite a while.

      Delete
    5. I go to a lot of thrift stores in a week, but the records just don't turn over. And in the old days they only cost a nickle and I could spend my change on the penny candy. ;)

      Delete
  2. I see there was a Silver Burdett Holiday Songs album. https://www.discogs.com/release/8928622-Unknown-Artist-Holiday-Songs. Maybe a compilation from the other albums?

    Bel Canto Singers: https://www.discogs.com/release/12371365-Bel-Canto-Singers-Count-Your-Blessings-Songs-Of-The-Bel-Canto-Singers-of-Boles-Home-Quinlan-Texas-Al

    Unknown Artist-Choral Sampler https://www.discogs.com/ja/release/12026103-Various-Choral-Sampler-For-The-Music-Educator

    Silver Burdett: https://www.ebay.com/itm/404830493622

    Cleo Lane https://jazzhistoryonline.com/cleo-laine/
    Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/ja/release/4039888-Cleo-Laine-This-Is-Cleo-Laine-Shakespeare-And-All-That-Jazz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gonna have to hunt that record down, though the songs look a little familiar...

      Delete
  3. Behind again, but I hope to catch up before the end! Lots of good stuff but hands down, Gene Krupa for the win in this batch. So great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to agree with Laurie G. on the Krupa comment. It sounds so good! For starters, it almost might be one of the edgiest things that Krupa ever did, before the Big Band Swing kicks in the middle of the number, yet it is just as good. Best of both musical worlds!

      Delete
    2. I was very surprised to find that Krupa, seems like the sort of thing I would have run across before. His records aren't very common around here.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...