Sunday, July 16, 2023

Christmas In July 2023-Part 16

I believe today marks the halfway point of the month. I hope you're all having a great time, and have found many favorites already. I know I have a good-sized folder of what I think are the best songs of the month. Many years from now, I hope to put them all into a collection and share them with you. In the meantime, you have to download each collection one day at a time and make your own best-of. Here are six, no seven more tracks for you. (Two of them are related, so I felt I had to throw an extra one in there for you today.)

1. Silver Burdett Company-Sleigh Ride
2. Robert Frost-Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening
3. Robert Frost-Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening-Commentary
4. Les Troubadours Du Roi Baudouin-Joachim Ngoi-Lullaby
5. Iroquois Junior Public School Primary & Senior Choirs, Choir Director-Shirley Munroe-Vespers (Christopher Robin)
6. Jenson Publications-Journey To Bethlehem
7. University Of Massachusetts Studio Concert Band, Conducted By Jeff Holmes-Happiness Is Christmas

MEGA

If you're new to this Christmas In July series, you may be excited to learn that there are a few years' worth of these collections still available. Looks like you can still download 2019, 2020, 2021 & 2022, you just have to walk through each and every day one at a time. I've linked to the first day of each year above, so you can start there. Don't stop until you're sure you've reached the end, some years went on for a lot longer than just a month.

6 comments:

  1. Who or what was/is the Silver Burdett Company? They sure made a lot of Christmas records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book/music publishers that sold primarily to schools. All those songs you had to learn to sing in elementary school chorus probably came from these guys. Might be a demo record for a teacher to listen and learn from, or something to play for the class so they could sing along. The labels usually had references that helped you find the song you were listening to in the book.

      Delete
    2. We had a live music teacher in my school. He used to roll in a portable organ and lead us in song. I remember a lot of folk things like "So Long, It's Been Good to Know Ya." (I hadn't a clue about its references to the Dust Bowl.) No Silver Burdett, must have been a later invention.

      Delete
    3. We used to sing a lot of what they called Southern music at the time, old Negro spirituals that might not be proper today. "Jump down, turn around, pick a bale of cotton." I'm sure their heart was in the right place...

      Delete
  2. Yes, I have found several favorites already, primarily from the songs I have commented on. Another album to keep a watch out for for a future entry in this series is the title cut from the My Favorite Things and Other Songs RCA Camden LP from the Organ Masters that I found today at a local thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds familiar, I may have done that one before. Been doing this for a long time now... :)

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...