Sunday, June 25, 2023

Merry Christmas And A Half!

Well, it's been almost six months since I last checked in around here. Hope you are all doing well. As you may remember, it's my birthday, which just happens to be halfway between last Christmas and next Christmas. I don't always get the chance to celebrate, but this year is a little different. After the season ended in January, I still had lots of Christmas spirit in my head, so I started ripping music. After about four months, I found that I had a metric ton of Christmas music in the can, so I decided to make a sampler for you. It's tracks from albums that I've ripped for possible sharing come Christmas 2023. Some of these albums may turn out to be on CD or on streaming services, so don't count on seeing everything this winter, but I hope to share a lot of it. There's something in here for everyone, I promise. Apologies for the ugly cover, I was in a hurry and inspiration never struck like I was hoping. For the curious, here's a list of the 117 (!) tracks I've included, one from each LP I had ripped when I went hunting a couple months ago.

1. Carolyn Watts (The Country Organist)-Carolyn's Intro
2. Happy Organ-The Chipmunk Song
3. Haskell Cooley-Pictures Of Christmas
4. The Belmonts-The Annual Animal Christmas Ball
5. Freddy Cole-Jingles (The Christmas Cat)
6. Mala Powers-The Animals' Christmas (Star Window #9)
7. Los Diplomaticos-Cha Cha Cha De La Navidad
8. The Janz Team-Away In A Manger
9. High Spirits, Past And Present-A Christmas Round
10. Nancy Ramos-Donde Esta San Nicolas
11. Marie Frances-Christmas In Killarney
12. The Jay Welch Chorale And The Utah Symphony Orchestra-Burgundian Carol
13. Freddy Fender-Santa! Don't Pass Me By
14. Bob Piper-The Warm Sounds Of Christmas
15. Billy Walker-Kettles And Bells
16. Royal Choral Society-Shakespeare's Carol
17. Paul Meisser-O Du Fröhliche
18. Los Voces Blancas-Santa Claus No Tarda
19. Levis Bouliane Et Ses Blue Stars-Vocal: Claudette Garand-Père Noël, Veux-Tu Danser?
20. Philip J. Cartwright-There's A Song In The Air
21. New Hope Singers International-Joy To The World
22. The Four Suns-Home For Holidays
23. Zimmers & Whitaker-Tonight We Trim The Tree
24. Bob Gibson-Talking Skier
25. Oscar Brand With The Ski Bums-Ballad Of The Snow Bunny
26. The Organ Orchestra-You're All I Want For Christmas
27. John Valby-Christmas Castle
28. The Epic Choir-Good King Wenceslas
29. Byron Lee And The Dragonaires-Christmas Bells
30. Marty Merchant-Santa Won't You Be My Baby
31. The World Vision Korean Orphan Choir-Birthday Of The King
32. Gerard Lenorman-Il Est Né Le Divin Enfant
33. Anthony Mawer-Snowmobile
34. The Celebrity Bowling All-Pin Chorale-Jingle Bells
35. Paul & Nancy Steffen-The Holly And The Ivy
36. Winifred Smith-'Twas In The Moon Of Wintertime
37. Jim Smith Of Detroit-The First Noel
38. Lucien Hetu-Dans L'Temps Des Fêtes
39. Roberto Perera & Juan Areco-Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer
40. Fernand Gignac-Royaume Du Bonhomme Hiver
41. Don Patterson-Merry Christmas Baby
42. McGuffey Lane-It's Hot This Christmas
43. Kofi-God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
44. Walt Harper-Twinkle, Twinkle Little Me
45. Carlos Salzedo-Catalan Carol (Fum, Fum, Fum)
46. The United States Navy Band-Snow Scene
47. Leslie Crowther-The Christmas Story-Part 8
48. The Southern California Mormon Choir-The Coventry Carol
49. The Unkalung Choir-Come On, Ring Those Bells
50. Graciela Rivera-Dormi, Dormi O Bel Bambino
51. John Gart-Sleighride
52. Golden Strings-Selections From The Nutcracker Suite
53. The Hollywood Pops Orchestra-Conducted By William Loose-Toyland - March Of The Toys
54. Milt Hinton-Ralph Sutton-Gus Johnson-Jim Galloway-Santa Claus Came In The Spring
55. Anna-Lena Lofgren & Artur Erikson-Jag Drömmer Om En Jul Hemma (White Christmas)
56. Rene Simard Et Les Disciples De Massenet-Voila Que Revient Le Pere Noel
57. Charles Aznavour-Christmas Eve In A Gambling Town
58. Sacha Distel-Noël A Bethleem
59. The Rhodes Kids-Santa Loves Rock 'N' Roll Music
60. The Mark III-Deck The Halls (Mayfair Greeting)
61. Bobby Grove-Christmas
62. Frank Luther-Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
63. Bill Pearce-Carolling, Carolling
64. Greg Buchanan-O Come All Ye Faithful
65. David Axelrod-Hallelujah
66. Hilding Halvarson-I Wonder As I Wander
67. Milford Myhre-Bring A Torch, Jeanette, Isabella
68. Sylvia Woods-Twelve Days Of Christmas-Deck The Halls
69. Guy Lemaire-Le Bonhomme Hiver (Frosty The Snowman)
70. Leonard Feather And Ralph Burns And Their Orchestras-Donner
71. Ralph And Red-Nuttin' For Christmas
72. La Famille Demers-Le Reel Du Père Noël
73. Walt Jacobs-Going Sledding At North Pole
74. Eddie Blazonczyk's Versatones-All I Want For Christmas Is You
75. Vera Lynn-The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot
76. Hard Call Xmas-My Christmas Bells (Vocals)
77. Peter Ecklund And The Howard Fishman Quartet-It's Christmas Time Again
78. The Magic Organ-Blue Christmas
79. Ulla Bach-Det Kimer Nu Til Julefest
80. John Littleton-Noël Louisianais
81. Danniebelle-Go Tell It On The Mountain
82. Hagood Hardy-Winter Time
83. Meg Bussert-I Love Christmas In New York
84. Edmund Francis-Carol Of The Bells-We Three Kings
85. Carlene Davis-Give Love On Christmas Day
86. Unknown Artists-O Little Town Of Bethlehem
87. Gordon Slater-Santa Claus Is Coming
88. Los Violines De Pego-Felicidades
89. Joe Longstreth-John Escosa-Carol Of Love
90. The Golden Orchestra & Singers-The Jolly Gent Who Jingles (Is Good Old Santa Claus)
91. The Organ Masters-Welcome Christmas-What's New About Christmas This Year-Happy Holiday
92. Terry Baxter-His Orchestra And Chorus-Here We Come A-Caroling
93. Cincinnati Symphony Members-Jingle Bells
94. Christine Wyrtzen-Reason For The Season
95. Mary Strang-Wee Robin's Yule Song
96. Perry Roberts-There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays
97. Alba Rosa Castro-Feliz Navidad
98. The Salvation Army New York Staff Band-The Joy Of Christmas
99. Coral Willys-Boas Festas
100. Stanley Adams And The Chicken Flickers-The Eight Days Of Chanukah
101. The Honolulu Boy Choir-Makahiki, The Christmas Menehune
102. The Plunketts-The Hawaiian Christmas Song
103. Raine Hrovat-The Christmas Waltz
104. The Choral Poincianas-Christmas Prayer
105. Claudio Ferrer-Santo Nombre De Jesús
106. Reggie LaFaye-O Holy Night
107. The Mini Pops-Have Yourselves A Merry Little Christmas
108. The New York Giants-All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth
109. The Phil Woods Quintet-Gifts For The Children
110. Marc Haney-Christmas Song
111. Ozark Bible College-Ukranian Bell Carol
112. Evie-A Tiny Little Baby
113. Lenore Paxton-Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
114. John T. Benson III-Monologue 1
115. The Mom And Dads-May You Have A Happy New Year
116. The Rolling Snows-Auld Lang Syne
117. The Trustees Of Mary Baker Eddy-The End

And if getting 117 tracks isn't enough for you, I'm also doing a little test. You can download in MP3 format or FLAC. Surprise! Just a test, so don't get your hopes up for Christmas sharing. It's a real pain to do, but I'm trying it. And all the track tags are just preliminary, so there's not as much detail as I usually put into my shares. Enjoy!

MEGA (MP3)

MEGA (FLAC)

35 comments:

  1. Wow; what a caloric sampler! Thnk so much for what you've done over the years-and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you found a copy of “Winter Sequence” (Ralph Burns, Leonard Feather, and assorted featured players), did you? If something like that can show up at a thrift store, then maybe there’s a copy of “Sliding Santa” out there with your name on it somewhere. And who are these Four Suns. Weren’t Three Suns enough? BTW, I never do birthdays...but Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to type in my name on that last comment. But you knew it was me.

      Delete
    2. Hi Stubby! I think I found the 10" at a record store in NYC, and the 7" version came from Discogs, so I ponied up a little bit for it. Happy to report that the 7" and 10" versions have identical versions of the music. No edits that I can tell. I'll keep an eye out for Sliding Santa, but I refuse to hold my breath!

      Delete
    3. Four Suns are better than three, right? And I snuck a Christmas cat song in there for you, too, Stubby!

      Delete
  3. Amazing! Thank you for all that you do and have done. I've spent the last few months going back downloading everything that's still active (yes, I checked the comments). So just wanted you to know you give a lot of people Christmas cheer all year long. (KeekKringle)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! Meant to add HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (Keek again)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas and a half, and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all, for the kind words, and for visiting on a random Sunday in June. :) Hope you're enjoying the music. Been listening to this in the new Bolt and really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I'm wondering why you say that posting in FLAC is a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FLAC is outside of my usual workflow, and I've been doing this for almost 20 years now, so it's a big shift. I'm having to take a good hard look at the software I'm using anyway, so FLAC is one of the options I'm exploring. Everything seems to involve some trade-offs, so I'm trying to decide what I want to do for the future.

      Delete
    2. There should be little difference from encoding in any other format.

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday, Ernie! Wow! Thank you so much! I actually have a gift for you, too, and I’ll put it in the mail this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but still no idea who this might be. I guess it'll be a surprise! :)

      Delete
  9. Forgot to put my name on there! Happy Birthday, again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday, buddy, belated though it may be. And thanks for the holiday cheer! Always glad to see you active - and this is quite the catch.

    I find it easier to keep everything in one format, and lossless is better because it facilitates me going back and tinkering with the sound, as I am apt to do. People used to ask me for mp3s, but that hasn't happened for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hyperactive, it's just all behind the scenes. And I'm worried about alienating more people with the FLAC files than I am about appealing to the lossless folks. But doing both takes twice as long... We'll see.

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday Ernie! Just in time for the start of Christmas In July in a few days! There is certainly A LOT included on this playlist for me to go through: Not too many big music names, yet I noticed Freddy Fender, McGuffey Lane, and Columbia Musical Treasuries "Regular" Terry Baxter here. Will try to check out some of this when I have the time. Maybe this year, instead of trying to do all-day shares like last year, you can start in late October like the Cable channels and spread Christmas cheer all through the rest of the year! Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've heard of McGuffey Lane? That seemed pretty out there, and the record was only ever released through Rax restaurants. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. I know a few years ago, their albums were put out on CD through Collectors Choice Music (since long out of print.) And a Belmonts Christmas cut in here! One big surprise is the Four Suns! Hope they are a legit group and not a Three Suns knockoff. The Hollywood Pops Orchestra cuts probably came from a Capitol Special Markets album; they appear on Albums 5 and 6 on True Value's classic Happy Holidays series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the Four Suns record, but it's just a Canadian knock-off budget label group. And The Hollywood Pops Orchestra did have an LP, and there is a lot of bonus material out there. Someone could compile an entire bonus CD or two of that bonus material, if one were so inclined, and had a very large record collection with a lot of time on their hands... ;)

      Delete
  13. This is amazing! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A week or so ago I looked for Christmas-and-a-half and I was early. Then I had visitors and forgot about it until just now. Thanks for C-A-A-H Ernie, and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Korean Orphan Choir did cut an album of Christmas music for Word Records that somehow Capitol Records got the rights to distribute in the secular market. A couple of their cuts also landed on Happy Holidays Albums 5 and 6 and other Capitol Special Markets. Also great to see a cut from CCM Gospel pioneer Dannibelle Hall on this playlist. And actress Mala Powers?? This truly is an eclectic lineup of seasonal tunes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Korean orphans cut more than one Christmas record. :) And the Unification Church made a Christmas LP, too. (You remember, Rev. Sun Myung Moon, the Moonies and their mass weddings...)

      Delete
  16. I think you have an army of Ernie clones ripping and audio processing 24x7x365. I don't know how you do it! But I'm glad you do - thanks brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not clones, but a few unpaid interns would help. That way they could get experience with that fancy new tech called vinyl! They should pay me!

      Delete
  17. Whoa, lossless! It's the 21st Century! We all appreciate the effort, man. I can sure dig the hassles, it's not part of your standard workflow. Your choice to make the attempt is one more benefit in our ongoing association. Maybe one day we'll all go on a cruise! Happy birthday, Ernie!
    \R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's just an experiment for now. Change is slow... :)

      Delete
    2. Converting FLAC to MP3 is pretty quick with file conversion software. I use dBpoweramp, but there are lots of others. You highlight the files, right click “convert files,” choose your format and hit the button.

      The FLAC files you provided are greatly appreciated but, if they’re too much work, 320 Kps is just fine. Thanks for all you do in ANY format!

      Delete
    3. Yep, it's easy. But it takes a discrete amount of time, and each one of those adds up...

      Delete
  18. Greetings, Ernie. Yes I'm back! I hope I can be back for the whole season, and I just absolutely had to comment with my appreciation for the flac. No problem if you decide not to keep it up, but this taster along with the music is appreciated. And, happy birthday, whether it's six months late or early!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...