Saturday, February 26, 2022

2022 At 78 RPM-Part 9

Almost through with February and the 78s just keep coming! The haul from The Internet Archive was extra big this month, over 60 new titles, which means I have more songs in my folder to share than I started out the year with. And that means there might be some super-sized shares coming your way, or maybe some extra weeks to bring out total to more than 52. I haven't really decided what to do yet, but I'll figure out something to get all these great songs out to you. In the meantime, why don't you jump in and help yourself to this week's share, a great set of ten tunes, including something written by Dick Leibert, but not recorded by him. You never know what you'll find at The Internet Archive!

MEGA

In other news, I replaced the faucet on the kitchen sink. Turns out that I didn't need to because I found a screen deep inside the mechanism that was almost totally clogged up, but I didn't know it was there. I thought the cartridge was plugged up and I couldn't get it out to replace it. So I just started over again. The process was rather straightforward until I couldn't find the special wrench they used to install it. That necessitated a second trip to the hardware store, but they didn't have what I needed. I got a deep-well socket set instead, but they weren't deep enough. I went hunting through my old toolbox, and found a short stubby wrench that did the trick. Second trip was necessitated when I got close to the end and wound up trying to connect a 3/8" female end to a 1/2" female end. That trip forced me to come home empty handed when I couldn't find a likely adapter and I realized I wasn't sure of the thread types. Next morning, armed with a little more info, I went to a new hardware store and came home with a handful of adapters to do the trick. Sure enough, everything screwed together and worked fine until I turned the water on, and water sprayed everywhere out of my new joints. After a few tries, I discovered a discovered a washer on the old hardware that wasn't on the new hardware. A few more tries and I figured out how the washer was supposed to work. At that point, everything worked after only being screwed together hand-tight. Which matched the way I took it apart, actually. I was poking around and it came apart when I turned it with my fingers. That's why I jumped in thinking the whole thing would take half an hour. Eighteen hours later, we put the kitchen back together and enjoyed the new free-flowing faucet. Next up, the Insinkerator! It's been frozen up and leaking through a cracked casing for years. I gotta attack it while I'm feeling brave. :)

Edit-4 Jan 2023-Added tracklist for searching.

1. Teresa Brewer With Chorus And Orchestra Directed By Jack Pleis-Ebenezer Scrooge
2. Two Ton Baker And Jerry Murad's Harmonicats-Vocal By Two Ton Baker, Little Girl-Joan Alt-Frosty The Snowman
3. Stanley Fritts And The Korn Kobblers-Vocal By Stanley Fritts And Ensemble-Jingle Bells
4. George Beverly Shea With Choir And Orchestra-Sleep Precious Babe
5. Freddy Martin And His Orchestra-Vocal Refrain By Murray Arnold-The Night Before Christmas (In Texas That Is)
6. Merv Shiner With The Pinetoppers-Don't Wait 'Till The Night Before Christmas
7. Roye Goodrich With The Holidays-Home For The Holidays
8. The Unitones-Directed By George Mitchell-The Merry Christmas Polka
9. Frankie Carle And His Orchestra-The Winter Waltz
10. Mrs. Sidney Rauh (Narrator)-Under The Mistletoe









7 comments:

  1. Thanks Ernie for this set from the IA, especially the Christmas Polka: Who knew you would have more "new" finds from the archive than when you started!
    As for your kitchen woes, way to persevere- always feels good to have new stuff in the kitchen. Hope you can cut down on 18 hours for the next project
    - Steve in PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up trying to fix things about 30 years ago. It's easier to call Chuck the Plumber.

    Thanks for the weekly loot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve-The Internet Archive just keeps bringing in the 78s and I keep digging through the new stacks. It's amazing the stuff they've found and digitized. I can find something new in there almost every day!

    Buster-I should call Chuck, but it seemed to simple to buy a faucet and plug it in the whole. Now I'm installing shelves over the washer and dryer, and it went pretty easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ernie - It makes my back hurt just reading about all your projects. I haven't done anything since organizing my record collection a few years ago. (Of course, I just went down there looking for something and couldn't find it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this grouping of niceties - couple of good un' here - poor Merv - comes out with these nice songs and then along come Gene Autry to capitalize on them all - I hope Merv got his share but suspect he did not

    Home for the holidays has the same feel to it that Sinatra's "I'm homesick, that's all" song did, longing for a time (which most likely never existed) but lives on in our memory - very nice

    Thanks again for the heavy lifting here - Mac

    ReplyDelete

  6. I took out a garbage disposal with a holed casing; I never used the disposal anyway. I found that there are a million kits available to add a disposal, but it was quite difficult to find the parts necessary to eliminate the disposal and plumb the drain to where I wanted it--that was the hard part.

    Is that "Don't wait..." the same one you posted a while back?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merv Shiner had a later full Christmas album that I've shared in the past, and I like it, but I don't think it went anywhere. I think he went up against Gene Autry in the Easter song battle, too, and won that one!

    And I would remove the disposal if I thought that would be easier, but no... And I don't think this is the same as any of the other versions I've shared before. First heard that song on a non-Lp 45 from Bob James in a rare vocal from him. Good stuff, but forgotten today.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...