Saturday, February 19, 2022

2022 At 78 RPM-Part 8

Another great week of shellac sharity here today, but in my mind they're all good. I'm trying hard to space it out since I have a whole year to cover, but my eyes are still drawn to the shiniest songs I have in my folder, so try as I might, the later stuff is going to be worse than the earlier stuff. Thankfully though, the Internet Archive continues to share out Christmas goodies on a monthly basis, so I'm constantly throwing new stuff into the pile. In fact, this month's new shellac dump started a few days early, so I've been downloading new goodies since last Thursday. I've learned quite a bit about the processes they follow to share out so much music, and it turns out they add new stuff once a month, not continuously as you might think. Looks like a good crop of stuff this month, so that'll fill up my folder fast. Some months are much better than others, but there's always something I can find. I'm rambling a bit because I don't have anything to pad out the post this week like the refrigerator story. Thankfully I don't have to deal with stuff like that all the time or I'd be a nervous wreck. I'll shut up now and let the music do the talking. Enjoy the music and I'll see you next week!

MEGA

Edit-4 Jan 2023-Added tracklist for searching.

1. Larry Darnell-Christmas Blues
2. Arne Damnerus Group, Arne Damnerus-Clarinet-I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm
3. Georgia Gibbs, Vocal, With Orchestra Directed By Glenn Osser-Looks Like A Cold Cold Winter
4. Ole Svenson And His Smorgasbord Band-Yingle Yingle Yumping Beans
5. Henry Jerome & His Orchestra-Dick Judge With Glee Club-Christmas Comes But Once A Year
6. Bernie Nee-Paulette Sisters-Jimmy Carroll Orchestra-Icicle Tears
7. Jan Garber And His Orchestra-Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
8. The Saintsbury Singers-Shepherds! Shake Off Your Sleep; I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing In; The Wassail Song
9. Bobby Doyle With Ray Bloch's Orchestra And Choir-Silent Night
10. Korla Pandit-Adeste Fideles-Jesu Bambino











8 comments:

  1. A substantial group! Believe it or not, I have several Bernie Nee 45s. He was mainly a demo singer.

    I assume that Ole Svenson was Yogi's sound-alike cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ONE Bernie Nee record--"Bells of Christmas"--though they spell it "Knee" on the label. Same dude, though. Best known as the vocalist for "The Blob" by The Five Blobs. Since he wasn't credited by name, he took out full page ads in the trades proclaiming his great success. Whereupon his label (Columbia) fired him. Ernie, you can find that single--"Bells of Christmas"--in my "Sparkle Traditional" share from The Fa. I know it's not a 78 on IA, but feel free to share it on your blog, here, if there's any interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, guys. Yes, Ole Svenson was a Yogi-type guy, though I've found more than a couple over the years. Stan & Doug were a couple of big ones, both solo and together.

    And who knew Bernie Nee had a history!?! Thanks for the added info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have found secret passageways into the labyrinth of the Internet Archives. As a frequent loiterer there, I have to say you know your way around that remarkable repository far, far better than moi. Wait till you discover the depths of YouTube. There will be no end of Christmas music there for you---much of it already refurbished and ready to download. Thanks for keeping the Christmas spirit alive. If God knows anything, He knows we need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, look up a record by Artie Wayne, of Crew Chiefs fame, from 1947, called "Let's Spend a Quiet Evening at Home." Beautiful song which nobody but me and Artie seem to have noticed. Or did you already find it and I missed the post in which it can be found? In any case, it's a great for year-round sends. Buster should look into Artie's records. Both of you will find relevant stuff in the records of British singer Denny Dennis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stuff shared out at YouTube doesn't interest me as much, though it's a great resource for listening to things you can't find otherwise. The audio is frequently lousy to begin with, then compressed for streaming. I'll stick with the IA for a while. And yes, their search engines can be quirky at times. "Snow" doesn't not return any of the results for "Snowing", it seems to look at exact words. But I've learned to sort results by date, so I just keep an eye on when new results turn up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many things at IA can be found at YouTube and I hear no difference between refurbished mixes at both. The indefatigable 78 Prof, for instance, is performing an invaluable cultural service. And every one of Ambrose's and Jack Hylton's recordings can be found there. In any case, I was just trying to be helpful. You don't seem to appreciate my attempts. I wish I could join the chuminess club you share with Buster. But somewhere along the way, we failed to bond. Henceforth I'll keep my mouth shut and leave you to your own admittedly considerable and praiseworthy devices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David, I certainly didn't mean any offense towards you in my disdain of YouTube audio. And I'm afraid I'm not as well-versed in some of these oldies you talk about. Buster and I go back a few years now, and we've been sharing this blogging experience for a while now. It takes years and years to get chummy sometimes. :) Your efforts are certainly laudable and I would encourage you to create your own blog to share your contributions.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...