Thursday, December 30, 2021

Spurred On


I don't think I shared enough Christmas stories with you this year. It's hard to find good spoken word stuff sometimes, and I didn't hunt down very much this year. But I do have this one single that features a story on one side with a related song on the other side. It's the story of Silver Spurs, the unlikely name of a very special elf who can help Santa in ways that others can't.  The Christmas canon is full of characters no one has ever heard of, and this is yet another addition to that group.  Hopefully you'll remember Silver Spur next year when the season rolls around. This is Dr. Dwayne Jorgenson-Narrator, Bill Barber, Jr.-Piano/Celeste & Keith Lester-Vocalist, Steve Barnett-Conductor-Silver Spurs; A Christmas Story b/w Silver Spurs; A Christmas Song (Knollwood 7" 33 RPM 26937, Stereo, 1975). I'm of the opinion that there is a book of some sort associated with this record, but I have no evidence of that. Perhaps one of you little elves can dig that up for me. Thanks!

MEGA

4 comments:

  1. There was a book that went with this. I don't know if the record was literally part of the book purchase, or if the two were released independently. We were discussing little-known Santa helpers a while back, and I was trying to remember this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wait--you mentioned the book. Duh. I'll have to learn to read sometime. Yes, there is definitely a book associated with this. Whether the book and record came together in one package, I dunno. "Silver Spurs" doesn't seem like a book-length story, though, even one for kiddies.

    Silver Spurs, Santa's Smallest, Brightest Elf, 1978: https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Spurs-Santas-Smallest-Brightest/dp/0915614014/ref=sr_1_2?crid=B6HKOWC65HYR&keywords=silver+spurs&qid=1640898935&s=books&sprefix=silver+spurs%2Cstripbooks%2C73&sr=1-2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Thank-You for all of your Posts.
    Now Heer's Too a Toast for the Very Last Day of December 31st, 2021...
    "I Thank-You for this, The Final Day of a Year that will go down in the annals of infamy and then to start with a Fresh, New And
    Positive Beginnings for a much better year for all of us." Always, Stan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Stan & Lee! Or maybe I can just say Stan-Lee? Ha, I crack me up! But thanks for the comments, I'll have to track down a copy of the book, I love all the characters that have been added to the Christmas tradition over the years.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...