Friday, July 09, 2021

July The Ninth

July goes a lot more slowly when you aren't trying to rip and post a dozen records a day. Here we are on day nine and it feels like it's been a month already. Not sure how I was able to keep up most years, but that's just the way it goes sometimes. You never know what you're capable of until you do it. So here's a little something I did for you back in 2010. Boy, that seems like an awful long time ago. It's another great collection of songs from Christmas In July, some common things, some uncommon things. I remember when I first got into Christmas music, I enjoyed the usual songs played on the radio, but I quickly began to look for the oddball stuff, the things you didn't hear every year, both unique versions of familiar carols and songs you hadn't heard before but still sounded like Christmas. And that led to what has become a lifetime of collecting this stuff. I'm betting that a majority of the stuff on this collection is new to you (or was when I first shared it back in 2010). It was mostly new to me then, too, but now it all seems like familiar comfort music that puts me in the holiday mood year after year.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.


01. Brook Benton-Go Tell It On The Mountain
02. Dickie Goodman-Santa And The Satellite, Part 1
03. Paul Whiteman & Orchestra With Jack Teagarden & Johnny Mercer-Christmas Night In Harlem
04. The Bellwethers-Ukranian Carol Of The Bells
05. Julius La Rosa-We Need A Little Christmas
06. Hal Mooney And His Orchestra-I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm
07. The Bill Shepherd Singers-Christmas In Killarney
08. The Daughters Of The Cross-Mary's Little Boy Child
09. Edmundo Ros And His Orchestra-My Favorite Things
10. Richard Robinson & William Reeve-Jingles, The Christmas Clown
11. Matt Dennis-White Christmas
12. Jo Ann Castle-Skater's Boogie
13. Johnny Winter-Please Come Home For Christmas
14. The Gooding Band Organ-A Little Boy's Christmas
15. The Dunster Dunces-Winter
16. Gaylord Carter-Jingle Bells
17. Dickie Goodman-Santa And The Satellite, Part 2
18. Dimitri Tiomkin-Toy Trumpet March; Christmas Morning
19. Sammy Davis, Jr. And Carmen McRae-Baby It's Cold Outside
20. Fred Karlin-Christmas
21. Doug Setterberg & Stan Boreson-Winter Wonderland
22. The Jackie Davis Trio-The Christmas Song
23. John Klein-Hanukkah Song
24. The Kennedy Space Center Chorus-We Can't Go Wrong
25. Richard Ellsasser-Sleigh Ride
26. Teresa Brewer-Jingle Bell Rock
27. The Paul Mauriat Orchestra-The Little Drummer Boy
28. Irving Fields And His Trio-Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers
29. Hugo Winterhalter-A Marshmallow World
30. Frank Sinatra-White, The Young In Heart
31. Fred Waring And His Pennsylvanians-Let Us All Sing Auld Lang Syne

MEGA

2 comments:

  1. There's that Matt Dennis record again!

    I had to check the Frank Sinatra number, which didn't sound familiar to me. I discovered it came from "Tone Poems of Color," made during his conducting phase. I have the LP, but haven't listened to it in 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt Dennis is everywhere! Though it helps if you remember he was also Dennis the Menace. ;)

    Yes, that's where I grabbed White from, after I liked the way it evoked a snow covered landscape. I later discovered the same song was on Camarata's Winter album with a slightly different title. He played up the wintry bit a little more, but I think it fit right in with the other tracks.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...