Saturday, January 30, 2021

73-Scoop Fourteen

The fourteenth scoop, so fourteen tracks, in a pattern that will rapidly be too difficult to continue. Another pretty good scoop of the most recent tracks downloaded and compiled from The Internet Archive, all Christmas-related, at least tangentially (I'm looking at you, Arthur Godfrey!). Plenty of good music here, and it looks like it may skew a little towards the religious and the folksy, though there are a couple of novelty bits in here as well. And everyone's favorite kid singer, Jimmy Boyd, shows up again after a bit of an absence. There's even a Danish version of a French chanson about not believing in Santa Claus. Or at least that's what I think it is, I don't understand a word of either language, so I have to go by what I read on the internet, which is always a mistake. Perhaps a knowledgeable reader will fill us in.  Anyhow, this is the collection for today, and I hope you enjoy it!

MEGA

Update-5 Jan 2023-Added a tracklist for searchability.

 1. Kai Mortensens Danseorkester-Du Kære Gamle Julemand
2. Jimmy Boyd Accompanied By Norman Luboff-Santa Got Stuck In The Chimney
3. Arthur Godfrey-Orchestra Under The Direction Of Archie Bleyer-Scattered Toys
4. Anne Brown, Ved Flyglet: Kjell Olsson-The Cherry Tree
5. Black Dyke Mills Band-Conducted By Arthur O. Pearce-The Parade Of The Tin Soldiers
6. Roman Vatican Choir Conducted By Rt. Rev. Msgr. Licinio Refice-Ave Maria
7. Tommy Tucker And His Orchestra-Vocal By Don Brown, Sally Sweetland And Group-Looks Like A Cold, Cold Winter
8. Billy Eckstine-Orchestra Conducted By Jack Miller-Oh, Holy Night
9. Saint Peter's Choir-Harold W. Gilbert, Director-Oh, Little Town Of Bethlehem
10. Carmen Cavallaro-Piano Solo With Strings And Woodwinds-Silent Night (Christmas Hymn)
11. Bill Carlisle-When Snowflakes Fall
12. Stars Of Radio & Television With Orchestra & Chorus-One Little Candle
13. Two Ton Baker, The Merry Music Maker With Special Sound Effects-Santa's Toy Shop
14. The St. Joseph's Convent Choir, Sister M. Theophane-Organist, Sister M. Claris-Director-Adeste Fidelis














9 comments:

  1. It looks like about 250,000 of the 300,000 78s on IA are Christmas fare, and you have found all of them. That continues to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As of right now, 3066 results come up when you search for Christmas at the IA. Many, many of those are duplicates, and I've tagged about 100 of those with Christmas so they'd show up. But there are still lots of Christmas (and Christmas-related) ones that aren't tagged. I've only shared out about 1100 of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, great--Two Ton Baker. You'll recall I found a beat-up version of his Christmas set. It'll be nice to hear him in decent condition. Baker was the super-talented comic/musician who was personally requested by Duke Ellington to fill in for him at a benefit concert. And the Buster and Lee favorite, Jimmy Boyd! Bill Carlisle is always a hoot--his hit "No Help Wanted" was like a prototype for the Sun Studios sound. Golden Music Society is a budget outfit that's new to me--I wonder if it was part of the Family Library of Recorded Music label group. That operated under umpteen names. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ernie - You are a better citizen than I am, with your posts and corrections at IA and Discogs!

    Lee - I refrained from disparaging Jimmy Boyd this time. Love Bill Carlisle, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee-That Golden Music Society seems to be related to the Hollywood label, didn't they also advertise their artists as being famous from TV and Radio? I'm guessing that with not too much digging, you'd be able to find other releases of these same six recordings (more coming up in later shares...).

    Both of you-More Jimmy Boyd coming up, just because you love him so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hate Jimmy, but still have picture sleeves for "I Saw Mommy Kissing SC," "I Saw Mommy Do the Mambo," and "Santa Got Stuck in the Chimney." I am missing "I Saw Santa Do the Mambo in the Chimney."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the tag was used by Hollywood/Variety. Good catch. I'm so immersed in the drug-store labels, I can't remember what ad line went with which...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't listened to the Danish song yet, but the title means "You dear old Christmasman (Santa Claus)." I don't really speak Danish but have learned bits over the years of being married to a Danish American. Thanks for all this great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the translation. I'm trying to find more of these non-English Christmas songs and get into them, but it's tough when you can't sing along or understand what's being said. And few of them are tagged on the IA, so they can be a challenge to find sometime.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...