Monday, January 13, 2020

The Best You've Ever Heard

Continuing on with 7" EPs that came from that same Goodwill store in Bradenton, FL (though on different visits), tonight I have this great freebie that came from RCA Victor when you bought a gift certificate. Or at least that's what I think it is for.  The cover is a gatefold, with one side for the little record, and the other side for a gift certificate.  My copy didn't come with the certificate, I'm sure someone cashed it in at some point, I believe it was worth three albums, so I couldn't imagine someone who enjoyed music not using it. I was a little surprised that I couldn't find any mention of this record anywhere on the internet, surely it's not that rare, but it may be the sort of thing that didn't survive the trip through time down to today. It doesn't have any rare music on it, in fact it's pretty common stuff that I wouldn't normally share, but I'm making an exception since it seems to be so rare. I'm sharing it more for the package and the artwork than anything else. I like it, and I hope you do too!  This is To Make This The Best Christmas You've Ever Heard (RCA Victor 7" 45 RPM SPA-7-16 Not For Sale (With Gift Certificate), Mono, 1955).

1. George Melachrino And Orchestra-Silent Night
2. Ralph Flanagan And His Orchestra-Winter Wonderland
3. The Three Suns-Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
4. Hugo Winterhalter And His Orchestra-White Christmas

MEGA

8 comments:

  1. This is nice - I've not seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. This is a nice find. Thanks, Ernie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great find Ernie...

    As soon as I get this loud ringing out of my ears (courtesy of THE Salvation Army) I can concentrate more on the 2019 selections...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ernie, why not perform a great cultural service by posting both of George Melachrino's christmas albums (1954 and 1959) for RCA. Not only are the selections different, but arrangements are entirely new. I really believe these albums are the best ever made of their kind. If you have already done so (and I was just not paying attention), please direct me to place where I can download them. And maybe indicate the importance of these albums to your following. Real Gone Music reissued "The Joy of Christmas" a few years ago, but I think "Christmas in High Fidelity" hasn't seen a reissue since CCM weirdly paired it with "Under Western Skies." Why didn't CCM just do the sensible thing and make it a tap-for-one special?

    ReplyDelete
  5. David,

    I try to avoid stuff that's on CD around here. So no Melachrino Christmas music, as you are correct, they've both come out on CD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Christmas in High Fidelity" is long out of print. You could post that. But it is simply amazing to hear Melachrino's second thoughts about Xmas classics, although I sometimes think his first thoughts were better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found this one at Discogs, extra info added by yours truly.

    https://www.discogs.com/Various-To-Make-This-The-Best-Christmas-Youve-Ever-Heard/release/13102184

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...