Saturday, January 18, 2020

Morton, Not Elliot

Tonight's Christmas record is something I've been holding back for a while because my blogging buddy Buster shared it out previously, and I didn't want to step on his toes.  But here it is anyway, I hope he won't mind.  In fact, his version probably sounds better than mine, so if you didn't get it already, go download it now, then come back and get mine. I don't know much about Morton Gould, as his recordings tend more towards the classical, but he does occasionally dabble in the pop domain, not sure if that's by choice, or if his label made him do it on occasion.  But when it comes to Christmas music, there is a large overlap in what's considered highbrow and what's popular, and that's kind of where this record lies, right in the middle somewhere.  I'll just call it enjoyable!  This is Morton Gould And His Orchestra-Christmas Music For Orchestra (Columbia Masterworks 10" 33 RPM ML 2065, 1949, Mono).

1. Moderately Moving (Kings Of Orient; The Babe Of Bethlehem; Rocking; Greensleeves)
2. Briskly (Boar's Head Carol; Patapan; Carol Of Service)
3. Slowly Moving (Come, Love We God; Coventry Carol; The Holly And The Ivy)
4. Gay And Jubilant (Irish Carol; God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen; Wassail Song; My Dancing Day)
5. The First Nowell
6. Silent Night
7. O Little Town Of Bethlehem; Away In A Manger
8. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
9. Adeste Fideles

MEGA

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Ernie. I've been drawn to Gould's Christmas music for some reason, and did find this at Buster's back in the day. I appreciate this share and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I bought this on CD when it was paired with the Nelson Eddy Christmas 10 inch album by Sony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind at all, old pal, and I would not be sure that my transfer sounds better!

    Gould was one of those artists that classical people thought was pop, and popular musicians thought was high-brow. He actually did both types of music, both as a composer and performing artist, and did them well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you a thousand times, Ernie. I enjoy Morton Gould's albums.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I've been hooked since the 1st song, I dig this music!
    Thank you very much for sharing Ernie!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...