Friday, December 12, 2014

Stone Christmas


Another request here, a couple records that haven't seen time on the blog in many years. This first one is by Herbie Koch, and features the carillon currently located at Stone Mountain, Georgia.  I had the chance to visit Stone Mountain a couple of years ago, and walked out to visit the carillon.  It's on a little spit of land that extends out into a lake, so it's very picturesque.  It could stand with a little refurb work, though. I guess the current generation (well, the past few generations...) just don't appreciate the sort of music these big bells can create.  Anyhow, here's a rerun from back in 2006, Herbie Koch-Christmas Bells Of Stone Mountain (Stone Mountain 777S-8037).

1.  Joy To The World
2. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
3. It Came Upon The Midnight Clear
4. Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming
5. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
6. O Come, O Come Emmanuel
7. O Holy Night
8. Deck The Halls
9. What Child Is This?
10. Good Christian Men, Rejoice
11. The Little Drummer Boy
12. O, Come All Ye Faithful
13. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
14. Silent Night

Zippyshare

Also in 2006, I shared out this other LP played on the carillon at Stone Mountain, only this time it's played by the slightly more well-known John Klein.  So if this looks more like what you're after, please download John Klein-Noel Bells (Stone Mountain SM-201, Stereo).

1. Angels We Have Heard On High
2. O, Holy Night
3. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
4. Good Christian Men Rejoice
5. As Lately We Watched
6. The First Noel
7. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
8. While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks
9. Joy To The World
10. Away In A Manger
11. Deck The Halls With Boughs Of Holly
12. O, Little Town Of Bethlehem
13. Good King Wenceslas
14. It Came Upon The Midnight Clear
15. O, Come All Ye Faithful
16. Silent Night

Zippyshare
I said two, but there was a third one from 2006.  I didn't notice in time, but this seems to be all the same music as the John Klein one shown above, just in a different cover and with the order shuffled around.  So maybe this is the one you had back in the day.  If so, please be my guest and download John Klein-The Bells Of Christmas (Americana AR-6, Stereo).

1. Angels We Have Heard On High
2. While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks
3. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
4. The First Noel
5. O, Little Town Of Bethlehem
6. Good King Wenceslas
7. As Lately We Watched
8. O, Come All Ye Faithful
9. O Holy Night
10. Deck The Halls With Boughs Of Holly
11. Away In A Manger
12. Good Christian Men Rejoice
13. It Came Upon The Midnight Clear
14. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
15. Silent Night
16. Joy To The World

Zippyshare

PS-When I was at Stone Mountain, I stuck my head in the main gift shop, but I didn't see any records (or CDs) of music from the carillon.  Oh, well...

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this collection. I can imagine the scene where the carillon rests and wonder if they still play the bells on Memorial Day. The sound echoing across the water would be enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a small collection of carillon albums. The nature of the selections is mostly seasonal, religious or patriotic. I'd like to hear a collection that was weighted a bit more to the secular. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Ernie:
    Have not been to your place in a while and when I checked in today I foujd a John Klein Album I did not have. Living in the Atlanta area and visiting Stone Mountain many many times, I had occasion to meet and talk to Mr. Klein many times. A true gentleman and wonderful musician. Thanks again for all you have contributed to my musical library and education. You are one of the pioneers of the music blogs and are an amazing fellow. Sorry to hear of your loss. As you said, it is never a good time, but especially at Christmas. God Bless you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ernie,

    Do you have a new link for these albums? I would love to get them! Please!!! thanks, Rich richnrich04@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please reload the Robert Klein Albums! I can see Stone Mountian from where I live!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...