Monday, December 08, 2014

In A Fielding Of His Own

Another request fulfilled, this time with one of my favorite records of 2012 and something of a rarity.  This is one of those records that I've only ever seen once, and almost passed by without a second glance.  It's on a label that seems to border on budget, and when I first saw it in a stack, I blew past it without much thought.  But for some reason I flipped back to it and took a closer look.  I decided it might be something worth listening to, so I picked it up.  And wow, is it good!  If you like your Christmas sprinkled liberally with brass, then this is the record for you.  Have a good long listen to Jerry Fielding And His Brass Choir-Favorite Christmas Music (Signature SM 1028, Mono, 1959).

1. Joy To The World/Hark The Herald Angels Sing
2. Winter Wonderland/Jingle Bells
3. The First Noel
4. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/O Come All Ye Faithful
5. Oh Tannenbaum/Cantique De Noel
6. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer/Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
7. The Twelve Gifts Of Christmas
8. Auld Lang Syne/White Christmas
9. Silent Night
10. The Christmas Song/Let It Snow/Let It Snow, Let It Snow
11. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear/Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem
12. Deck The Halls/Here We Come A-Caroling


Zippyshare

9 comments:

  1. You never pass up an LP like this that looks to be unworthy...always a surprise. Thank you for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent record. Glad to see it posted again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! Love the festive flare in these arrangements. And it was interesting reading a bit about Jerry Fielding. To think that he was black listed from Hollywood. Wow...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just curious..... Have you ever come across any Marching Band Holiday albums?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not aware of any strictly marching band Christmas LPs. Maybe a track here or there from a school LP. Do mummers count? I posted one of those a few years back.

    http://ernienotbert.blogspot.com/2011/12/stereo-mummers.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link back. Mummers may not match a marching band, but they definitely "count". And I think they'd take the cake (or the Christmas Tree Cookie) in representing the fullness in Christmas Spirit in community performances and caroling. Personally, my last "mummering" was in elementary school, but I did get to sing along with a choir last year at a performance my wife and I attended. It was a lot of fun.

    Good find on that album!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy! That opening number is very exciting! What a great find. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...