Monday, July 02, 2012

Christmas In July 2012-Part 2

I've got the tracks selected, the MP3s made, the ZIP file uploaded, all I have to do is list out all the songs and we're ready to go.  What's on tap for today?

1. Powder by The American Breed from the LP Pumpkin, Powder, Scarlet & Green (Acta A-38006, Stereo, 1968).  It's short, a little psychedelic, and the perfect mood-setter for a Christmas night.  OK, maybe not perfect, but it'll do.

2. Winter World Of Love from Billy Vaughn and his album of the same name (Dot DLP25975, Stereo, 1970).  This one is a rerun from way back when, but I wanted to bring it back in much nicer sound.  I've learned so much over the years, I think I'm making much better recordings now than I was four or five years ago.  Maybe by the time I'm sixty, I'll figure out exactly what I'm doing around here.

3. Away In A Manger by The Choir Of The First Presbyterian Church Of Dearborn-Alexander J. Turco, Organist And Director from the album Carols And Anthems (Artie Fields Productions H-1496/1497, Stereo, 1967).  I tried to stay away from some of the church records, but I can't help myself.  This one is nicely recorded, I think you'll enjoy it.

4. Little Abou The Camel by The Continental Symphony Orchestra, Narrated By Art Gilmore And Don Wilson from Classics For Children Volume 2 (Capitol T3248, Mono, 1957).  I noticed just today that this track appears to have been taken from an earlier kiddie record that's been shared over at Kiddie Records Weekly.  That issue only mentions Don Wilson, so he's probably the narrator on this track.  The story doesn't have anything to do with Christmas, but the music is adapted from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite.

5. It Happened In Sun Valley (Open) by Hap Miller And The Hap Miller Sun Valley Orchestra from the LP of the same name (Stanal Records S-1010, Stereo, 1964).  This is one of several Sun Valley-themed tracks from a record put out by a group who actually performed in the actual Sun Valley.  Some cool tracks here that I'll get to you as the month goes on.

6. Frost Flowers, a song by Ichiro Masuda Quintet from the LP Midnight Vibraphone (JVC-Nivico (Japan) SJV 248, Stereo, 1967).  Yes, I've traveled all the way to Japan to bring you interesting music for Christmas in July!

7. The Reason Everybody Likes Christmas by Jim Mandell With Mary Hylan & Debby James from Action Songs For Holidays And Special Days (Tom Thumb T 312, Stereo, 1979).  Great title for a Christmas song, but I'm not sure the execution is there.  Oh, well.

8. Sleigh Ride by Kurt Wege And His Orchestra, a rerun around here from 21 Channel Sound-A Leroy Anderson Concert (MGM SE 4075, Stereo, 1962).  Sleigh Ride is one of the easier to find Christmas tracks, since it shows up on all sorts of Leroy Anderson tribute albums.  Nice version, though.  Looks like I misspelled Orchestra in the track tags, though.  Sorry...

9. Six Weeks Every Summer, Christmas Every Other Year, a country weeper by Mary-Jane And Carol Neal from the album Country To Classic-An Evening With Mary-Jane And Carol Neal (International Composers 2xLP ICI 613, Stereo. 1981).  I'd never heard this song before, but it looks like it's made the rounds before, covered here by a lounge act of questionable talent.

10. Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring by The Roger Wagner Chorale With The Capitol Symphony Orchestra Conducted By Roger Wagner, taken from the LP Holy, Holy, Holy (Capitol P8498, Mono, 1959).  I think this is a rerun, but I'm not certain.  All I can say for sure about this version is that it's very long.

11. Song Of Mary by St. Olaf Lutheran Choir-Conducted By Olaf C. Christiansen, and the album is Fifty Golden Years (Mercury SR 60728, Stereo, 1962), the first of a handful of tracks from these guys from two different albums.  I wasn't certain it was two different albums until I finally sat down to record them and compared the track list.  I think both covers have the same, or at least similar stained glass windows on the covers.

12. Snowflake Polka by Walter Ostanek And His Polka Kings from Polka Party (Arc A-609, Mono, 1965).  Arc is a Canadian label that specializes in Canadian content, with a broad range of product.  Remember that Christmas In An English Pub LP I shared out a couple years back?  Yep, that was Arc.

13. 'Twas In The Moon Of Wintertime (AKA Huron Carol) by Winifred Smith from the album Ethnic Folk Songs From The South (The Tennessee Squire Association 630-D-2211, Mono).  Last but not least is a great Christmas carol that you don't hear too often.

That's it, thirteen more tracks.  Hope you're enjoying them.  And thanks for all the comments yesterday!  Keep 'em comin', and I'll keep sharin' the tunes!

MediaFire

3 comments:

  1. These look great! The Billy Vaughan track is one of my favorites and I love a good country weeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome as usual Ernie! Thanks a bunch you have gotten me into the spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Reason Everybody Loves Christmas" is cracking me up. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...