Christmas In July 2026-Part 37
1. Leonard Bernstein With The New York Philharmonic, The Camerata Singers-Abraham Kaplan, Director-Thanksgiving And/Or Forefathers' Day (Leonard Bernstein Conducts Charles Ives' "Holidays" Symphony, 1967)
Another Thanksgiving track I didn't have until recently. This should have gone in with all the Thanksgiving music on the first day of the month, but that didn't happen. And it's a long one, too. Pretty sure I've shared this one out before but it's been a long time.
2. Eddie Higgins-Piano With Milt Hinton-Bass And Bobby Rosengarden-Drums-Sleigh Ride (By Request, 1986)
Another record that I've shared before, but it's so good that I had to grab another copy when I saw it recently. A great version of Sleigh Ride here that opens with a medley of other Christmas songs at the beginning before building to a rousing piano-led version of this classic. I like it, you'll like it. I even made it the lead-off LP cover of the day I liked it so much.
3. Eddie Fisher-Arranged And Conducted By Jerry Fielding-Count Your Blessings (When I Was Young, 1965)
I threw this one in because some people think of it as a Christmas song, and I guess you could make that case. I usually ignore it but as the season drags out and I get desperate for more music I tend to look upon it a little more favorably. Wish I'd found a stereo version, but this one will do for now. The conductor, Jerry Fielding, released a scarce Christmas record back in the day, you can download it from me right here if you're interested. It's a good 'un.
4. Joe Maphis With Rose Lee & Dale-Snowflakes (Dim Light, Thick Smoke (And Good Old Country Music), 1978)
From the guy that brought you the country classic of the LP title (though the hit version was released in the early 50's), this is a nice little song sung by a lady I believe was his wife.
5. The Shawnee Choir-Earl Willhoite, Director-Jesus, Jesus We Adore Thee (Christmas And Concert Songs For Mixed Chorus)
6. The Shawnee Choir-Earl Willhoite, Director-O Listen To The Angels' Song (Christmas And Concert Songs For Mixed Chorus)
Two more tracks from this publisher's demo LP. There are plenty of records out there by these folks in addition to this one. I think I've got three or four of them recorded already this year for possibly sharing near Christmas. So if you really like this sort of thing, don't forget to come back at the end of the year.
7. Janet Baker, Mezzo-Soprano-Ave Maria! Jungfrau Mild, D.839 (Ave Maria! Maiden Mild) (Janet Baker Sings Schubert, 1971)
If you like the sort of music where they have to tell you what range the singer is singing in, then this is for you. I rarely care unless it's some good basso-profundo from Thurl Ravenscroft or J.D. Sumner.
8. Unknown Artists-Shepherds Leave The Hillside (Songs For Kindergarten Children, 1970)
First of two from this LP with some vague connection to the Mennonite community. Short but sweet.
9. Jenson Publications And Purifoy Publishing-That Holy Night (Choral Celebration Vol. VI, 1984)
Yet another publisher's demo track, and thankfully the only one from Jenson in the pile today. Have I mentioned lately that we're getting near the end finally? Trust me, it's coming.
10. Unknown Artists-O Come, Little Children (Songs For Kindergarten Children, 1970)
And a second track from the kindergarten record. Why didn't I list both of these together? I don't know, the software puts the tracks in some sort of order and I rarely bother to mess with it.
Aaaaaaaand I think that's it for today. Better grab this download while it's hot, you wouldn't want it to get old and stale. And speaking of old and stale, there are a lot of old and stale Christmas in July shares still in the archives and available for download. Here are links to the first day of sharing from July of 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024 & 2025. (There were a lot of Christmas in July celebrations before these, going all the way back to 2005, but these are the only ones where the downloads are still good.) You can work your way down through the month by just hitting the 'Newer Post' text near the bottom of the page. Some seasons lasted longer than others, but they all have a minimum of 31 days of good songs for you. Well, I think there's one year where I didn't have much at all to share and I did some second-best-of collections and whatnot, but those are worth revisiting as well. Enjoy, but don't forget to grab the collection for today before you go down that rabbit hole of links.






.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment
All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...