Saturday, September 03, 2022

2022 At 78 RPM-Part 36

Welcome to the first weekend of September! It's been a long time since I've posted anything in September, though I can remember a Christmas in July celebration that got so out of hand it extended into September, but that was a while ago. This blog is usually pretty quiet between July and Thanksgiving, so this is unexplored territory for me. I hope you're enjoying the year-round Christmas celebration this year, though I have to admit it's been hard to keep up with. Even though I don't have to record the 78s (they come courtesy of the Internet Archive), I still have to record other stuff for my other Christmas celebrations, and sometimes I get so into that process I don't leave times for this series. But that's OK, I can deal with it. It just helps to have a blog where I can gripe about such things. :) Anyhow, here's another deep dig into the 78 archives from the IA, another thirty (!) tracks for your seasonal listening. As usual it's a mix of great and not-so-great stuff, but I think the chaff sometimes adds a little special something to the wheat. Fiber, maybe, I dunno. Throw it all up into the wind, and keep whatever isn't blown away. You'll enjoy it now, and love it when Christmas finally rolls around.

MEGA

Update-4 Jan 2023-Added tracklist for searching.

1. St. Olaf Choir-Olaf C. Christiansen, Director-Alleluia, Christ Is Born
2. Mimi Martel-Bob Anson With Maurice Clark Orchestra-Baby, It's Cold Outside
3. Mark Andrews-Christmas Fantasy-Part 1 (Christians Awake; It Came Upon The Midnight Clear; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem)
4. Buddy DiVito-Joe Kovats Orchestra And Chorus-Give Me Your Heart For Christmas
5. Wilbur D. Nesbit-God Bless Us All
6. Johnny Bond With Group Singing-I Wanna Do Something For Santa Claus
7. Yvette Et Jackman-Accompagnement d'Orchestre Direction Jean Faustin-Le Petit Noel
8. Ken Griffin At The Organ-Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer
9. Nelson Eddy, Baritone, Accompanied By Robert Armbruster And Orchestra-Silent Night, Holy Night
10. Dinah Shore With Orchestra Conducted By Albert Sack-Sleigh Ride In July (From International Film "Belle Of The Yukon")
11. Stars Of Radio & Television With Orchestra & Chorus-Snow Flakes
12. Statsradiofoniens Underholdningsorkester-Dirigent: Teddy Petersen-Tinsoldaternes Vagtparade (Die Parade Der Zinnsoldaten)
13. Dottie Evans-When Christmas Comes To Our House
14. Molly Bee With Orchestra Conducted By Van Alexander-Willy Claus (Little Son Of Santa Claus)
15. Bumble Bee Slim-Blues Singing With Piano And Guitar-Christmas And No Santa Claus
16. Mercury Childcraft Records-Frosty The Snowman
17. Glenn Davis At The Hammond Organ-Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
18. Mindy Carson With Charles Hale And His Orchestra-I Want A Television Christmas A World Of Magic All My Own-With Bells And Celeste
19. Rex Griffin-I'm Ready To Reform
20. Scotty MacGregor With Organ Accompaniment-Jingle Bells
21. Prince's Orchestra With Contralto Solo And Male Quartette-Memories Of Christmas-Part 2 "The Tree At Grandmothers"
22. Eddie Barclay & Son Orchestre De Danse-Noël Sans Vous (Count Your Blessings) (Tiré Du Film: "White Christmas")
23. Jimmy Durante-Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
24. The Continentals-Jack Cathcart, Musical Director-The Bells Of St. Mary's
25. The B.B.C. Chorus-Conducted By Joseph Lewis-Berkeley Mason At The Organ-While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks (Traditional Christmas Carol)
26. Janette Davis-Orchestra And Chorus Under The Direction Of Archie Bleyer-Winter Wonderland
27. Organ And Chimes-Adeste Fidelis
28. Major Records-Angels From The Realms Of Glory
29. Andre Kostelanetz And His Orchestra-White Christmas (From "Holiday Inn")
30. Unknown Artist-Fum Fum Fum

































6 comments:

  1. Another dandy collection! But tell me, how did you determine that "I'm Ready to Reform" is a Christmas record? (Not that I doubt you.)

    I am also here to give you this useless information - Jack Cathcart (of the Continentals) was married to Judy Garland's sister. And Dick Cathcart, Jack's brother and member of the Lawrence Welk Orchestra, was married to one of the Lennon Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ernie,
    I have always found a B side or filler track sometimes is better than some of these so-called A sides. I have wondered why some of them were skipped over for becoming a single release. On the other hand, I have read but cannot remember where I read it, that a B side became the hit. Even the odd single I have read ended up with 2 A-sides. So, usually, you can find something good in every song, well maybe you cannot.
    As always, your hard work is appreciated.
    Update: I love your 2nd best collections. Glad to add them to my collection. And once again, thank you for those stained-glass mural covers and its complete window photo upload.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note to Bryan RE B-side hits. It's not seasonal, but relevant, hearing that Jose Feliciano's "Light My Fire" was the B-side. Online research lists "California Dreamin'" as the A-side.

    Ernie, you keep cranking 'em out. We are all so very thankful of your exceptionally productive curation, especially as September enters.

    Looking forward to working through this one and whatever else you share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so so so much appreciated! It brightens my Sunday week after week.

    efredd

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all, for the nice comments, and for sticking with the blog through this long, hot summer.

    Buster-Thanks for the trivia, I didn't know that. And I'm Ready To Reform showed up on one of those Jasmine Christmas comps recently, so I went and grabbed it. I think he mentions Santa Claus somewhere in the song, so it's not got much to do with Christmas, but a little. :)

    And regarding A-side/B-side, I think there have been plenty of cases where the flip side outperformed the original lead track. It's all in what the DJ and eventually the public like better. Some artists have gone to great lengths to make the A-side the hit by putting really dodgy stuff on the flip side. I think Sonny Bono had a whole series of singles where the B-sides were all slapdash instrumentals with the word Quetzal in the title somewhere. Weird stuff.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...