Thursday, November 28, 2019

Non-Traditional Thanksgiving

In what may be a first, I actually found a full Thanksgiving album this year that I can share with you. I suspect there are plenty of things like this out there, but this is the first one I've found. Oscar Brand was kind of a folky performer who released a bunch of LPs in the Sixties on Audio Fidelty that you've probably seen at the thrift stores and not paid much attention to.  Then he switched to Elektra for another long series of albums that turn up occasionally, but not as often.  After that, he shows up in a lot of weird places. I didn't know until this year that one of those places was Caedmon, a label usually known for their spoken-word stuff.  This record features a lot of talking between the songs, but there is still plenty of music here.  I also discovered that he did a Christmas album either right before or right after this one, but I've never seen it.  If anyone has a copy they want you send me, drop me a line, I'd love to hear it!  This is Oscar Brand With Jacqui And Bridie, Eric And Anthony-Oscar Brand Celebrates The First Thanksgiving In Story And Song (Caedmon TC 1513, Stereo, 1978). This was a library copy, so please excuse the tears on the front cover and the stickers on the label.  Sometimes you have to be happy with what you find.

1. Oh, Give Thanks
2. Bold Robin
3. Listen To The Bells
4. Listen To The Bells-Reprise
5. The Sails Are Set
6. Malbroek-Marlborough
7. Three Young Maidens
8. I'm Going For A Journey
9. The Sails Are Set
10. Henry Martin
11. Thanks To The Lord
12. The Little Mohee
13. Indian War Song
14. This Great World
15. Three Merchants
16. Green Broom
17. The Jolly Huntsmen
18. The Shucking Of The Corn
19. Indian Thanksgiving
20. Oh, Give Thanks-Reprise

MEGA

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen a Thanksgiving LP before - leave it to you to find it.

    I wonder if anyone other than a library or school ever bought a Caedmon LP. Beside you, of course. (And me - I have a bunch of 'em.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a descendant of Governor William Bradford, I give this download my blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After your honeymoon hiatus and my moving from Maine to Wisconsin, I had lost track and now am so happy to see you posting again! I used to listen to Oscar Brand’s radio show from NYC back in the early 60’s. As we begin the year of celebrating the Mayflower this is a great share! Thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...