Friday, July 19, 2019

Christmas In July 2019-Part 49

Finally Friday night!  It's been a long week, and I've been struggling to keep up, but here I am, making it all work.  Hope everyone is enjoying all this awesome Christmas music.

1. Rudolf Schock-Der Tenor Und Seine Lieder-Ave Maria from Rudolf Schock-Der Tenor Und Seine Liede-2. Folge (Electrola (Germany) 10" 33 RPM WDLP 531, Mono).  That's right, I went all the way to Germany to find this one for you. Or Germant, as I think I spelled it in the download.  Sorry about that.  Lots of typos this year.

2. The Brick Church Choir-Soloist, Virginia McConnell-A. Irvine McHose, Organist And Choir Director-Behold That Star from The Brick Church Choir (Kendall Recording Corporation LP389, Mono, 1959).  Another song I don't think I'd heard before.

3. The Atlanta Children's Choir-Directed By Mr. And Mrs. Haskell Boyter-Accompanist, Miss Adele Dieckmann-For Baby Jesus from Hear The Church's Song (Covenant Life Curriculum 10" 33 RPM 8536, Mono).  Again, I think this is a record demonstrating new hymns you can sing in Sunday school or elsewhere.  Not abridged like many of the high school band or chorus demos I've been sharing though.  Not that it's not short and sweet, but it doesn't just fade out... Oh, and doesn't that tune sound familiar?

4. Chet Baker, Narrator-Frank Evans-Grey December from Excerpt From Assorted Flavors Of Pacific Jazz-A Hi-Fi Sampler $1.98 (Pacific Jazz HFS-1, Mono, 1956).  Just an excerpt from the full song, but at least now I know that I need to keep an eye for it.

5. The Choir Of Christ Episcopal Church-Lullay My Liking from 75 Men And Boys (No Label 2xLP BL 1500 (Side 4-Christmas Carol Service) (Bloomfield, Glen Ridge), Mono). I thought that said Viking for a minute, and I was very confused.

6. Bob Crosby's Bob Cats-March Of The Bob Cats from Bob Crosby's Bob Cats In Hi-Fi (Vogue Coral (UK) LVA 9083, Mono, 1958). Not a Christmas song at all, but I liked the title.

7. Marais And Miranda With The Pardo Ancient Instrument Ensemble-The Rumble Drum (Flemish) from Ballads Of Long Ago (Columbia Masterworks ML 4894, Mono, 1956).  Huh, I guess there was another Christmas song on this LP. Thought I was done,

8. The Northern Illinois University Wind Ensemble-Stephen Squires, Conductor-Christmas March from Alfred Young Concert Band Music (Alfred Publishing No Number, Stereo, 1988).  The usual publisher's demo for the day.

9. Paddy Tunney-Rockin' The Cradle from The Lark In The Morning-Folk Songs And Dances From The Irish Countryside (Tradition (Everest) TLP 1004, Electronic Stereo). That may not be baby Jesus in this cradle, but I couldn't pass it up.

10. Shirley Ellis With Jimmy Smith At The Piano-Sweet Little Jesus Boy from Christ In My Heart (Concert Records USR 9841, Stereo, 1976).  Unfortunately, it's not THAT Shirley Ellis, or THAT Jimmy Smith either. But imagine my hopes when I flipped to this record! Oh well...

That's it, ten more great tracks.  Here's the download, come back 'round tomorrow for more.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, the return of Marais and Miranda, along with A. Irvine McHose! I wonder if they recorded together. I would record with A. Irvine McHose just so I could get his name on the sleeve.

    I imagine you were expecting "Jesus, Jesus, bo-be-zus, banana-fanna-mo-mee-zus, Jesus!" accompanied by Hammond organ. I guess that didn't happen, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that, and I wanted to get down to the real nitty gritty, but it didn't happen. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. gosh, they even had poor ol' chet baker doing fade-out demos back in the day. i'd hate to see HIS sheet music. tough stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I felt bad about having only half the track, but it was a good one so I couldn't pass it by. Someday the full song will turn up. In fact, it's probably out there on Amazon somewhere, I didn't look.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...