Thursday, July 18, 2019

Christmas In July 2019-Part 44

Part 44, wow, I can't believe we're this far into the season.  So much good stuff this year, I'm really happy with the selection.  Here are ten more tracks towards the complete collection.

1. Richard Keys Biggs At The Organ Of The Church Of The Blessed Sacrament, Los Angeles-Ave Maria from A Concert For Organ (Capitol 10" 33 RPM L8089, Mono).  I'm sure I've shared out at least one full Christmas album from Mr. Biggs, but I'm not sure if it's still hosted anywhere. Oh, yeah, there's one here and another one here.  Enjoy!

2. The Modern Folk Quartet-The Bells from Changes (Warner Bros W 1546, Mono, 1964).  A great yet rarely heard Christmas song, featuring lyrics by Edgar Allen Poe.  I believe it was popularized at one time by The King Family, in case it sounds familiar to you.

3. Sisters' Concert Chorus, Sisters Of St. Joseph, Nazareth, Michigan, Director-Sister Maureen, S.S.J., Soloist-Sister M. Lisette-Magnificat In The Fourth Mode from Jubilee! (Grace Note LPM-12967/12968, Mono, 1965).  Singing nuns!  No whistling though, sorry.

4. Sistine Choir (Coro Cantori Romani Di Musica Sacra-Capella Sistina C Basiliche Maggiori)-Ferruccio Vignanelli, Chief Organist, Pontifical Institute Of Sacred Music-Adeste Fideles (Oh Come All Ye Faithful) from Selections From The Sound Tracks Of The Motion Pictures Christ Is Born And Christ Is Risen (Counterpoint/Esoteric (Everest) CPST-5600, Stereo, 1972).  OK, you can't tell me tha this one isn't a Christmas song!

5. Ping Pong Percussion-China Doll from The Pinnacle Of Percussion (aka Ping Pong Percussion Sampler) (Pirouette (Synthetic Plastics) RFM 76, Stereo).  Now this one might not be a Christmas song.  It's certainly a budget label release.

6. Unknown Artist-Fanfare Prelude On: Joy To The World from Superior New Works For Concert Band-Vol. XVII Advanced Edition (Jenson Publications 2xLP JP-6500, Stereo, 1985).  The demo selection for this part.  Enjoy!

7. The Ringers On-The-Green-William Payn, Conductor-The First Noel from O, Clap Your Hands (Dharma GFL 1057 (Morristown, New Jersey), Stereo).  I could swear I saw a CD full of handbell Christmas music today.  I should have gotten it, but it didn't look very exciting.  Not like these recordings I'm sharing with you.

8. Madison Senior Choir-Mr. David Alan Ayers, Director-Accompanists, Katherine Sutch, Janis Black-Hodie Christus Natus Est from The Joys Of Christmas And The Sounds Of Today (United Sound USR-4976, Stereo).  The first selection from two albums I found today from this school chorus.  Each album features a full side of Christmas music, and it's all surprisingly good.  Even well-recorded. I knew I had to get started and record it fast so I still had plenty of shares left to spread it all out a little at a time for you.

9. Nelson Riddle And His Orchestra-June In January from The Joy Of Living (Capitol ST1148, Stereo, 1959).  I know I've shared this with you before, but I don't remember if it was in stereo or not. (Yes, yes it was...)

10. Jean Martinon Conducting The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra-Les Patineurs-Pas Des Patineurs from Le Cid-Ballet Music/Les Patineurs (The Skaters)-Ballet (London CS 6058, Stereo, 1958).  The second-to-last track from this lengthy ballet.

And that's it for now.  Running late in posts at the moment, not sure if I'll manage a noon post today or not.  But until then, you can download this one and enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. i began listening to the fanfare demo; and it was suitably bombastic… par for how these things go. and i thought, “gee, it’s going to build up with some whopping crescendo and then, just like the others, suddenly fade out leaving us all hanging”. but lo and behold, they finish it !! they played the whole thing. demo schmemo.

    am i the only one who envisions the sistine choir singing on their backs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes you are. They are singers, not painters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard The Bells before. You stated that this is a rare Christmas song. I listened to it a few times and couldn't see the link to Christmas aside from the reference to icy nights. I did really enjoy it though and have added it to my playlist. I also loved the signing by The Modern Folk Quartet. I looked them up and they seem to have released a Christmas CD in the 1990s. I found a few of their songs on YouTube. Nice harmonies. That's my discovery for part 44.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say everything is a Christmas song!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...