Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Bee's Knees


I love Florida. You never know what you might stumble across. And you never, ever, leave your camera at home. As is usual, I went to Steak 'N Shake for lunch today. When I left, I noticed a bunch of bees flying around my car. A closer look revealed that in the half hour I'd been inside, a swarm of bees had alighted on a palm tree beside my car. I've seen similar swarms before, but they'd never materialized that suddenly, or at least not so suddenly that I'd noticed. I took a few pictures of them, getting closer than you might think safe, then I let the manager inside know that he had some bees outside, and that they'd be gone as soon as they found a good place to build a hive. I doubt if that's going to be good enough for him, so these bees might suffer at the hands of an exterminator soon. But maybe not. There are enough bees dying from that colony collapse disorder already, no need to kill any more of them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...