Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Two For Tuesday

I've had an idea in my head for a little while, and I want to try it out on all my loyal fans, or at least on the drunken surfers who happen to click on by. Once a week, I want to share a pair of tracks with you, a pair that have something in common. Sometimes something obvious, sometimes not so obvious. To start things off, it's pretty obvious. I've got two versions of The Ballad Of Jed Clampett, which you may know as the theme song from The Beverly Hillbillies. I don't know that I'd ever come across a version of this track by anyone other than Flatt & Scruggs, then I happened across two. So here are those two great versions by Spike Jones (who I think you know...) and Jo Ann Castle (one of Lawrence Welk's many musical proteges), both from 1963. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Always great to find new Spike Jones! Thanks Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think it sounded much like Spike Jones, to tell you the truth. I meant to post the details about the LP, but I got in a hurry. The track is from the Washington Square LP on Liberty.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...