Monday, October 31, 2005

Oodles of Doodles CIL


I love doodles of musical instruments, and these fanciful instruments are really, really out there. From the LP An Evening With PDQ Bach-Peter Schickle Town Hall Concert (Vanguard VSD-79195, 1965), these doodles represent some of the fanciful instruments used by the fanciful Mr. Bach. I never did get the whole joke with PDQ Bach. I suppose I'm not highbrow enough. Oh, well. These doodles are all signed by Jules Maidoff, who appears to have done a lot of album design before he ran off and became a serious artist. The doodles are all named, by the way. The one up top is The Hardart, the one below is The Double Reed Slide Music Stand, and the one at the bottom is The Left-Handed Sewer Flute. There are some more, similar musical instruments on the cover, so if you're interested in such things, by all means track this release down.


2 comments:

  1. I'd like to make a virtual instrument hardart using samples pulled from other instruments and sources. If you happen to know what notes map to what sound production method, I'd greatly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...