Sunday, March 27, 2005

Georgia On My Mind

The reason I had to get up so early Saturday was in order to drive to Georgia for my Grandmother's funeral. My grandparents (on my mother's side) had been living in GA for quite a while, so I hadn't seen them in a long time. But I did get to spend an hour or so with them back before Christmas. I saw planty of folks at the funeral that I hadn't seen in years. There were also plenty of people who I would have sworn I'd never met, but they all seemed to know me.

I wasn't sure if it was kosher to take pictures at a funeral, but I saw one of my aunts doing it, so it seemed to be OK. Her thought on the subject was that it would be nice to be able to remember the event and the people, if not the sadness associated with the loss of Nanny Moore.

This is a shot of the photos of my grandmother that adorned the area near her casket. I have a vague memory of that big photo on the left hanging in their old house in Lakeland. Or maybe my mom had it up on the wall in our house at one point.

Here are Mom & Dad in a rare moment of levity at the funeral home. Mom had been up there for a few days, but dad, my brother and I had driven in that morning. We turned around and drove home after the burial, so it was a long 16 hour day for me, with most of that time spent in the car looking at the nasty weather outside. It rained for most of the trip, but thankfully it was dry during the services.

If anybody I spoke to at the funeral stumbles acosss this site, drop me a line through the comments link below, and I'll be happy to share more pictures with you. Mom also has all of them on her PC, so she may be able to get some of them to you also. She'll also stand a better chance of telling you who's who in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...