Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Christmas In July 2026-Part 28

Last week of the month, but likely not the last week of the sharity. We had a little poll last week and even though we didn't get too many votes, I'm going to declare that the winner was to extend the season for a few days rather than try to cram in all the music I have left here in the last few days. So don't forget to keep stopping by even though the calendar may say August. While we wait for that, let's jump into the pile of music I've got for you today. 

1. New York Percussion Trio-Sleigh Bells (AKA Sleigh Ride) (GE Stereophonic High-Fidelity Presents Selections In Stereo-Colorful Excerpts From 15 Brilliant Albums)

We start with the awesome version of Sleigh Ride, something I've shared with you before but well worth a revisit. I think I ordered a cheap version of this LP a few years ago from Discogs because I couldn't find it, but this one is something I found in the wild. That to me always makes it sound a little bit better.

2. St. Cecilia's Men's Choir, Conducted By C. Irving Guyer, Accompanied By The Civic Symphony Of Springfield-Adeste Fidelis (Glory To God In The Highest, 1965)

One more track from these guys for you, this time joined in by a local symphony. I think this is the record that I shared earlier in the season and pointed out that it used the same stock cover image as another record I'd pulled some music from. Don't think that's ever happened before in July, but it's fairly often I get more than one record with the same stock cover image in December.

3. Madison Junior Choir, David Alan Ayers-Director-Gloria Tibi Domine (The Joy Of Christmas And Greats From America Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow)

The last track I have for you from a full side of this record, and the only track that only features the junior high group if I'm remembering correctly. Most of the tracks featured a combination of the junior and senior high choirs.

4. José Iturbi, Pianist-November (Troika En Traineaux in E) (No. 11 from "The Months," Op. 37a) (Music To Remember, 1956)

I can't tell you how many times I've flipped past this record in the past twenty years and never noticed there was something on it I could share with you. It's a Tchaikovsky track from a selection of songs he wrote for each month of the year. This particular track is for November but it's about a sleigh ride and has been used as the basis for a few Christmas songs in modern times. You'll likely recognize it.

5. Dean Jones-Arranged And Conducted By Shorty Rogers-Chilly Winds (Introducing Dean Jones, 1963)

This is the song from the album I put up at the top of the post. Do you recognize that guy mugging it up on the cover with himself? Dean Jones was an actor who had his biggest success with Disney in the 60s. You might remember him from That Darn Cat and The Love Bug. I didn't know he had released an album and I didn't know there was something wintry on there that I could share. I actually found this in a small thrift store in Felton, CA, a small mountain town just outside Santa Cruz during a visit earlier this year. Always excited to bring a record home from a trip.

6. Unknown Artist-Jingle Bells (Mockingbird Flight, 1975)

A happy little Christmas song from this five-record set of classroom records. Wis I knew who to credit for this, but there wasn't very specific info on the box.

7. Ted Alan Worth-Prelude On "I Wonder As I Wander" (Great Hymns Of Faith-Praise To The Lord)

Some organ noodling for your listening pleasure.

8. Valery Lloyd-Watts, Piano-Christmas-Day Secrets (Recital Favorites, 1978)

Some piano noodling for your listening pleasure.

9. Lorna Dallas, Terry Mitchell And Laurel Ford-Medley (Excerpt): The Things We Did Last Summer; Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow (Words And Music Starring Sammy Cahn, 1975)

A short medley cut from a much larger medley on the flip side of this record documenting a show where Sammy Cahn talked about all the songs he wrote during his career. Not exactly sure who's singing on which songs, those three names were attached to the entire medley with no specifics given.

10. Toy Band-Theme VIII (March And Dance With Toy Band-My First Golden Record Library Volume 10)

Last up is the final short section of Greensleeves from this kiddie record. Not the last share I pulled from it though, but the other selections will be better, I promise.

And that's all I've got for you on this fine Tuesday. Hope you heard something you enjoyed. Come back tomorrow for more of the same. 

MEGA









5 comments:

  1. I feel like I've spent half my life skipping past that Iturbi record. Glad you found something on it!

    Dean Jones was a fine actor and singer, but he appears to be missing his left ear on one of the cover images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly turns up a lot, yet I've never been bothered to flip it over. That'll teach me! And yes, Dean lost an ear to a tragic VW accident, I suppose, though that movie was a few years in his future at this point.

      Delete
  2. I think I'm going to have to add a genre called "noodling" to my library - that really fits these songs better than easy listening, piano jazz, or something else. Thanks again for all the work and while I did not participate in the poll I would never say 'No' to more from you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (c) Ernie Not Bert, 2026, all rights reserved.

      Delete
  3. I vote you avoid exerting yourself and just go at the speed that feels most comfortable for you. Speed kills, yo! -Organ

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...