Saturday, October 22, 2022

2022 At 78 RPM-Part 43

If all goes according to plan, this post will pop up on the blog while I am far, far away in Santa Fe, New Mexico for the week. That will be the farthest away from the blog I've been when a post pops up. I was in NYC for one of the posts in June, but I only put that up a few days early. This one is being scheduled nearly a week ahead of time, and that's a rarity for me. Through I have been putting most of these up early, it's usually no more than a day or so, sometimes even an hour ahead of time. I'm not known for planning ahead, even though I need to. Anyhow, I'm not around, but I hope you enjoy the many varied shares this week. Some really old stuff in there, some newer tracks, too, but all worth a listen or two. We're getting close to the season now, less than ten weeks to go. I can almost see the end from here, but we've got a lot of ground to cover before we get there. Enjoy

MEGA

Update-4 Jan 2023-Added tracklist for searching.

1. Howard Kopp-Chimes Solo Organ Accompaniment-Adeste Fideles (Oh, Come, All Ye Faithful)
2. Erroll Garner, Piano; Wyatt Ruther, Bass; 'Fats" Heard, Drums-I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm
3. Louis Garisto-Chimes With Organ-O Little Town Of Bethlehem
4. Lenny Herman Quintet-Percy, The Pale-Faced Polar Bear
5. Morton Gould And His Orchestra-Serenade Of Carols For Small Orchestra I-Moderately Moving (Kings Of Orient; The Babe Of Bethlehem; Rocking; Greensleeves)
6. George Wright At The New York Paramount Theatre Organ-Silent Night
7. Ray Noble And His Orchestra (With Vocal Refrain)-Snowball
8. Russell Records-Troika (November)
9. Lanny Ross-Stephen Kisley And His Orchestra With The Amory Brothers-Winter Song
10. Floyd Sherman, Tenor, With Organ-Away In The Manger (Luther's Cradle Hymn)
11. Victor Herbert's Orchestra-Personally Directed By Victor Herbert-Babes In Toyland-March Of The Toys
12. Victoria De Los Angeles-Soprano, Guitar Accompaniment By Benata Tarragó-Campanas De Belén (Bells Of Bethlehem)
13. Angelic Gospel Singers-Christmas Morning
14. Ferdy Kaufmann And His Orchestra-Christmas Night
15. Grupo Coral Da Igreja Evangelica Fluminense-Ao Harmônio: Antonio Silva-Regente: Henriqueta Rosa-Fernandes Braga-Exultem, Ó Povos!
16. Peerless Quartet-Male Quartet With Orchestra-Good-Bye Summer! So Long Fall! Hello Winter Time!
17. Belmont Choir-Alfred Cibelli, Soloist-Dr. F. Magliocco, Director-Laetentur Coeli (Joy Of Heaven)
18. Glenn Davis At The Hammond Organ-O Little Town Of Bethlehem
19. Marek Weber Und Sein Orchester With Chorus-Petersburger Schlittenfahrt (Sleigh Ride In St. Petersburg)
20. The Westminster Choir-John Finley Williamson, Conductor-Song Of The Christmas Presents
21. Irene Treadwell And The Phil Ellis Choir-The Church Bells Are Ringing On Christmas Morn
22. Original Dixie Rag Pickers-The Colder The Weather (The Warmer I Feel) (Skips)
23. Fritz Wenneis (Dominator)-Weihnachten
24. Les Brown And His Orchestra-Vocal Chorus By Jack Haskell-When You Trim Your Christmas Tree
25. Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Conducted By Bruno Walter-No. 3-The Sleigh Ride
26. Celebrity Quartette (Isobel Baillie, Soprano, Gladys Ripley. Contralto, John McHugh, Tenor, Harold Williams, Bass-Baritone) With Herbert Dawson, Organ-Christians, Awake!
27. Major Records-Hark The Herald Angels Sing
28. Phoebe James-Jingle Bells (Bells)
29. The Choir Of Westminster Abbey, Conductor: Dr. William McKie, Organ: Dr. Osborne Peasgood-In Dulci Jubilo
30. Mount Holyoke College Glee Club-Ruth Douglass, Conductor-Patapan (French)






























9 comments:

  1. Good gracious, there's a lot of material here! You certainly give good measure in your posts.

    I don't recall encountering Percy the Pale-Faced Polar Bear before, either in person or on records. (How many of these Christmas creatures are there, anyway?)

    Just love that Vox Label!

    Hey, hope you are enjoying NM!

    ReplyDelete

  2. I am always a little surprised by how so many of the labels from these 78s look like they've almost never been played. Was someone able to put the record on the spindle exactly perfectly every time, or were the records really not played?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may want to check when you get back - I think the Les Brown record may be missing from the download. The label is there, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I'm back. I actually got snowed on one day in NM, though it was really light and didn't stick. There was plenty up on the mountains outside of town, too, and even in some hollows along a trail we hiked. There's a video of the weird face I made when I looked at the snow falling on my jacket. I guess I'm not used to solid rain...

    Anyhow, thanks for all your comments. And Buster, it looks like that Les Brown track is in the download. Is anyone else not seeing that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ernie,

    Right you are! I missed it because I was looking for a maroon Columbia Label.

    Snow in Arizona in October? I wouldn't have expected it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tagged it with the green Canadian label because it was different. :) And I think that was the version I downloaded, but I don't believe they are different.

    We were in Santa Fe, and the elevation there is a little over 7000'. I could feel it in my lungs whenever I walked too fast, believe me! I think it was their first snowfall in the actual city for the season, so I walked around all day humming The First Snowfall Of The Winter to myself. The mountains were capped with white when we first arrived, and there was a lot more of it the day after, but it melted back pretty quickly. None of the locals paid it any mind but I was fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ernie, It is great... how many singles and albums you are finding :) Colorado and Wyoming seem to be getting way more snow than Northwest Alberta, Canada... where I live... We had one day of snow. Tiny enough that the sidewalks and streets were clear. My kind of snow ;) We are expecting, and usually have some for Halloween, of course... normal every year. By Mid November, we usually have snow, that will last til April.

    I have 148 days of Christmas music, on my computer - from 1890 to 2021. Now, I am going to make a "Popular/chart toppers iTunes" and a "Not popular/Instrumental iTunes" as I find my iTunes is freezing up - with too many songs on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff- Thanks Ernie! Specially liked hearing the famous classical guitarist Renata Tarrago's accompaniment to Victoria de Los Angeles. What a treasure trove from th IA!
    -Steve in PA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep those comments coming, folks, they're much appreciated.

    Jonathan-Keep adding Christmas songs to your library, you'll be up to 365 days before you know it, then you're set!

    Steve-I think there are two more songs from that same 10" record, so stay tuned. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...