Saturday, April 09, 2022

2022 At 78 RPM-Part 15

 

Good afternoon! Welcome to yet another episode of 2022 at 78 RPM! On today's show, I share another great batch of music from crusty old shellac records that spin super fast. Remember, 33 plus 45 is 78, so you get both the best and the worst of those other speeds. Taking a look at what's in the pile, I've got a record with ties to Ukraine above. I think this was a group of ex-pats here in the US that played native Ukranian songs and instruments, but that's beside the point. I'm proud to show a little bit of support for the Ukranian people as they fight against the Russian invaders. Elsewhere in the download, I see a few repeats from past years, I think. It's hard to remember what I have and haven't shared in the past couple of years, but I frequently grab new rips of stuff I may have shared before if I think it may sound better. I hope you don't mind a little duplication in the name of better sound. Another record I should draw some attention to is a version of Little Jack Frost Get Lost by it's co-author, Seger Ellis. That caught me a little by surprise, like the time I found a version of Baby, It's Cold Outside by Frank Loesser. In the pre-singer-songwriter era, it was rare for a composer to record and release his songs, except in perhaps a demo form. Good stuff, enjoy! (As always, the original rips are courtesy of The Internet Archive, I just cleaned 'em up a little bit.)

MEGA

Edit-4 Jan 2023-Added tracklist for searching.

1. Molly O'Day And The Cumberland Mountain Folks-At The First Fall Of Snow
2. Sarah Vaughan-Orchestra Under The Direction Of Norman Leyden-Ave Maria
3. Ben Bernie And His Hotel Roosevelt Orchestra-Vocal Chorus By Dick Robertson-Button Up Your Overcoat (From "Follow Thru")
4. Ukranian Bandurist's Chorus-Conductor: Volodynyr Boshyk-Soloist: W. Kucher-Christmas Bells
5. The Folkrafters-Frank L. Kaltman, Director-Come Let Us Be Joyful
6. Frankie Masters And His Orchestra-Chorus By Frankie Masters And The Masters Voices-Down In Toyland Village (In The Land Of Blocks)
7. Frankie Laine And The Four Lads-I Heard The Angels Singing
8. Alice Faye-Orchestra Under The Direction Of Cy Feuer-I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm (From "On The Avenue")
9. Buddy Cole-Joy To The World; Away In A Manger
10. Seger Ellis With Dixie Dons And Orchestra-Little Jack Frost Get Lost
11. Dorsey Brothers' Orchestra-Vocal Chorus By Bob Crosby-Out In The Cold Again
12. Horace Heidt And His Musical Knights Featuring The Trumpeteers-Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers
13. Tony Puskarz And His Orchestra-Rudolph-Polka (Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer)
14. Marimba Novelty Orchestra-Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
15. Vic Damone And The Mercury Chorale Directed By Camarata-Silent Night
16. June Hutton And Axel Stordahl With The Boys Next Door And The Stordahl Orchestra-Song Of The Sleigh Bells
17. Charlie Spivak And His Orchestra-Vocal Refrain By Jimmy Saunders-The Bells Of St. Mary's (From The RKO PIcture "The Bells Of St. Mary's")
18. Floyd Worthington-The Night Before Xmas
19. Lou Gold And His Orchestra-Vocal Chorus By Arthur Seelig-The Toymaker's Dream
20. Henri René And His International Orchestra-The Skaters




















7 comments:

  1. Sarah Vaughn, Vic Damone and the Marimba Novelty Orchestra! Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sure is a generous, varied and fascinating selection. I am sure I have never heard Axel Stordahl sing before (he was Sinatra's music director at Columbia), and the Seger Ellis is new to me as well. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great selections, with "Christmas Bells" absolutely gorgeous. I also like Henri Rene's bordering-on-Spike Jones treatment of "The Skaters." I wonder about the Lou Gold side, which is from 1929 but sounds like a horn recording. I knew that Harmony was behind the tech curve during the 1920s, but a 1929 acoustical side is pushing things! And, as Henri Rene's side wraps up, it sounds more and more like Spike. It dates from 1946, so it may well have been influenced by Jones. And, as is usually the case for electrical-era 78s, we have a marimba band which is substantially expanded, instrumentation-wise. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 33 + 45 = 78, now how'd I miss that?!? Yet another great collection Ernie, and as always very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice Faye. I don't need to say anything else. Except, maybe, *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crackin' nice collection this week there kind sir - while I had the song by June Hutton (sigh....) your version is far superior - and one of my favs for sure and so I thank you for that one - Horace sure rips along on the parade - bet that was one tired group of soldiers after that quick-march - well done once again

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the many fine comments! It's always a pleasure to continue when people take notice of what's going on. :)

    Lee: I think that Henri Rene predates his American career. That of course wouldn't discount his being influenced by Spike, but they didn't likely share recording facilities or anything.

    And Alice Faye and June Hutton are both fine examples of the female voice. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...