Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Christmas In July 2019-Part 60

Well, I think I'm finally to the point where I can drop back down to two posts a day, like I started doing back at the beginning of the month.  The counts are still sort of tentative, and it depends on what more I can record between now and the end of the month, but time is running short, so there may not be too much more placed into the pile.  Unfortunately, I also counted the publisher's demo tracks I recorded and realized that I have to start sharing out two of them a day to have any hope of getting through them all.  I'm glad I didn't stick with my original plan to record all of those style records I have here in the pile or there might not have been time for anything else all month.

1. Jean Martinon Conducting The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra-Les Patineurs-Finale from Le Cid-Ballet Music/Les Patineurs (The Skaters)-Ballet (London CS 6058, Stereo, 1958).  We finally arrive at the end of this epic ballet, and I think it was worth the wait.

2. Arlo Guthrie-The Pause Of Mr. Claus from Arlo (Reprise RS 6299, Stereo, 1968).  I've shared this with you before, but I pulled it from a WB sampler album.  This time I pulled it from the original LP.  Not any difference, really, but I feel better about it.

3. Hank Snow-Snowbird from Snowbird (RCA Camden ACL1-0124, Stereo, 1973).  Some good Hank Snow from very late in his career. Not the song you might be thinking of, by the way.

4. Hugo Winterhalter-Summer Green & Winter White from A Season For My Beloved (ABC-Paramount ST 90168 (ABC Records, Mfd. By Capitol Records), Stereo, 1963).  I don't know if I'll ever be able to share out all the Christmas-adjacent tracks from this LP.

5. Unknown Artist-That Holy Night from Choral Celebration Vol. VIII (Jensen Publications JP-6400, Stereo, 1985).  The first demo track of the night.

6. Harrell C. Lucky-Toyland from Quiet Time (Melody House MH-43, Stereo).  You remember this guy, he's the one who piloted his own dream plane earlier in the season.

7. Unknown Artist-The Twelve Days Of Christmas from Superior New Works For Concert Band-Vol. XVII Advanced Edition (Jenson Publications 2xLP JP-6500, Stereo, 1985).  Our second demo track of the evening.  Sorry.

8. Hap Palmer-What A World We'd Have If Christmas Lasted All Year Long-Instrumental from Holiday Songs And Rhythms (Activity Records AR-538, Stereo, 1980).  Probably not as good as the vocal version unless you're really familiar with the song.

9. Guy Lombardo And His Royal Canadians-White Christmas from Berlin By Lombardo (Capitol ST1019, Stereo, 1959).  A short excerpt from a long medley.  I was excited when I spotted a stereo version of the record, then I looked and discovered I've shared it out three or four times already, and each one is stereo.

10. Ensemble Of The Concerts Lamoureux Under The Direction Of Darius Milhaud-Maurice Suzan, Trombone-Winter (Concertino D'Hiver) For Trombone And String Orchestra (Animé-Très Modéré-Animé) from The Four Seasons (Les Quatre Saisons) (Epic BC 1069, Stereo, 1960).  More vivaldi for you.

And that's it for now.  Download at your own risk.  See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. That's Milhaud, all right! You knew that Dave Brubeck and Burt Bacharach studied under him, right? This feels like his (Milhaud's) "Creation of the World" in spots. Not crazy about the tune Winterhalter is playing, but his arrangement is gorgeous. I'm not familiar with Meyerbeer's music--I should be, but I'm not. This selection is brilliant. I saw "Les Patineurs" and thought Waldteufel.... Never heard the Guthrie before--such a superb comic storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost hurt myself laughing at the musical portion of the Guthrie track. Thanks for introducing me to this gem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I first shared that Arlo Guthrie track last year or the year before, but it stayed in my playlist for a long time after I found it. He's pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Lee's comment about the Guthrie track. Lots of fun. I also appreciated the instrumental version of "What a World We'd Have...".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had a late start to Christmas in July this year but the family have been deep in it for the last few days. I'll list my favorites at the end. The Arlo Guthrie track made it onto one of my mixes after you shared it last time. Great track!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...