Monday, August 06, 2018

Christmas In July 2018-Day 32

That's right, July has 32 days this month (and counting)!  I'll see how long I can keep this up, but as of now I've got about another week in the can.  What's in the pile tonight?

1. Salvation Is Created by The Lycoming College Choir-Walter G. McIver, Director, from Let Us Break Bread Together (Lycoming Records LLP 500, Mono).  As good a place to start as any.  I spent the weekend grabbing a bunch of tracks of these little locally produced records because I didn't think I'd shared out enough with you this year.  So prepare for an onslaught!

2. Blue Holiday by Ralph Burns And His Orchestra from Warwick Records Presents Sight And Sound Percussion Sampler (Warwick-No Number, Stereo).  Is this the same Blue Holiday as the one by David Rose and Andre Previn?  I didn't listen close enough to see, and it's a promo type thing with no writing credits attached.  I suspect the percussion bits at the beginning were tacked on after the fact as a sales gimmick.

3. Hong Kong Holiday by Robert Maxwell And Orchestra from Spectacular Is The Sound For It! (MGM SE3883, Stereo, 1960).  Another track from a percussion sampler, but at least this one is a little more professional and nothing feels tacked on.

4. Ice Run by Rick Wakeman from White Rock (A&M SP-4614, Stereo, 1976).  This is the soundtrack to a film about the Winter Olympics from that year, so if it makes you think of ice, it must be doing it's job.  And there's Moog!

5. I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony) by Chet Atkins from Chet Atkins Picks On The Hits (RCA Victor (Canada) LSP-5754, Stereo, 1972).  I told you there were still Christmas treasures to be found in the Chet Atkins discography.

6. Penguin Polka by Myron Floren from Myron Floren On The Accordion-Polkas, Schottisches, Waltzes (Brunswick BL 754053, Stereo, 1960).  I know penguins are from the wrong pole, but they still remind me of Christmas for some reason.

7. Russian Dance (Trepak) by Dom Frontiere from Mr. Accordion-Dom Frontiere Plays Classical Favorites (Liberty LST 7008, Stereo, 1958).  Can't have a night without a Nutcracker track!

8. Satin Doll by Morty Craft And The Singing Strings from Percussion In Hollywood, Broadway, Television (Warwick W5000ST, Stereo).  Another track that seems to have tacked on percussion, from the same label as the other one...

9. White Christmas by St. Albans Childrens Chorus-Lucille Burney, Director-Ruth Perkins, Accompanist, from St. Albans Childrens Chorus Sings (No Label SXB-600/-601, Stereo).  More local stuff, but I thought this one was pretty good.  Got lots of tracks from this one to share.

10. Wintertime Of Love (From "Wintertime Of Love") by Richard Hayman And His Orchestra from Great Motion Picture Themes Of Victor Young (Mercury SR-60012, Stereo, 1958).  I know I've shared this one out before, but I found a nice stereo copy of the LP and figured why not.

That's it.  Ten more tracks. I haven't asked in a while, but do you have any favorites so far this year?  Leave me a comment and let me know what you've liked.  Or, if you have a strong opinion, tell me what you didn't like!

Zippyshare

4 comments:

  1. Well, I like the Dom Frontiere tracks. And of course Little Esther!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to see “salvation is created” on the top ten. maybe it’s just the circles i travel in now, but it doesn’t seem to get the play that it once did. and of course, even amid sacred music, it is not the most cheerful of pieces so that i wouldn’t expect it to be a christmas favorite. but it has an ethereal quality to it, no? i think some music is not written, it is discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can feature all the penguin music you want.

    just don't make me sit through "march of the penguins" again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No immediate new favorites yet outside of the one or two I've already mentioned this month so far. Thanks for another day!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...