Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Christmas In July 2018-Day 23

I hate being behind, I really do.  But I don't see any chance of getting caught up before the weekend, probably on Sunday.  Just so much stuff to do that doesn't leave much time for Christmas music.  But I'll catch up, don't you worry.

1. Go Tell It On The Mountain by Howard University Choir-Warner Lawson, Director, from Spirituals (RCA Victor Red Seal LM-2126, Mono, 1958).  You can't see it because I didn't scan it, but the cover on this one is by Mozelle Thompson!  And if memory serves, the tracks are divided up into 3 songs each, but I didn't think they were actually a medley, so I cut out just the bit I needed.  Sorry if that offends any purists out there.

2. Greensleeves by The Weavers from The Weavers At Carnegie Hall (Vanguard VRS 9010 (Metropolitan Music Library VG 9010), Mono, 1959).  There are a lot of good songs in the discography of The Weavers.  Shame about the whole blacklist thing, not one of our country's prouder moments. Kinda like, oh, I don't know, now.

3. Capricorn by Hal Mooney And His Orchestra from Any Time-Music For Every Month Of The Year (Mercury SR 60073, Stereo, 1959).  I believe this is a stereo remake and retitle of an earlier album from Mr. Mooney. Each track is named after a star sign, and Christmas falls in Capricorn, as Kris Kristofferson once told us.  I love these kind of theme albums in general, but I wasn't too excited about this one.  I need to hunt down the mono original and see if I like it any better.

4. Catch: Hodge Told Sue, yet another track by 1978 Chamber Singers-Robert Summer, Conductor, from University Of South Florida Chamber Singers And University Singers (Suncoast Recording Service KM 4471, Stereo, 1979).  One of you learned visitors want to clue me in about this one?  I have no idea.

5. Ice Castles (Looking Through The Eyes Of Love) by Hector Olivera from Page Won By Hector-Embassy Theatre, Ft. Wayne (Engle Associates Recording EAR-10313, Stereo).  I should have saved all my "Ice" titled tracks and shared them out together.  Didn't think about that until just now.

6. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear by The USAF Strings from Serenade In Blue-Series Eleven (Programs 131-143) (United States Air Force 7xLP Suggested Air Date: October-December 1969, Stereo, 1969).  Such a good collection of stuff on this one, wish I could finds dozens more like it.  And I assume that with some serious digging, I can find a few more. I would think they did it more than just this one year.

7. I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm by Enoch Light And His Orchestra from his LP Enoch Light And His Orchestra At Carnegie Hall Play Irving Berlin (Command RS 840 SD, Stereo, 1962).  Enoch Light, you know what to expect.

8.-10. More filler from various Nutcracker Suites.  You know the drill.

That's it, another ten tracks.  Stay tuned, another week to go!

Zippyshare

3 comments:

  1. I looked to see if I had that Hal Mooney record for you - I only have the stereo version. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. here i am trying to decide which of a half-dozen 60-year-old versions of "dance of the sugar plum fairies" i prefer, and reality keeps interrupting me. nothing like ironing out your insides, but it's still annoying and time consuming. gotta go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much. Almost caught back up.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...