Sunday, June 03, 2007

June 2007 AB (After Barry)


The very first day of hurricane season, and we get a storm. Well, the storm formed on the first day, we got hit the second day. Nothing much, really, just a bit of rain and some wind. But the wind was all coming from off-shore, which made for a particularly high tide. I made it out to the beach not long after high tide, and there was an ocean of water trying to get out of Sarasota Bay anyway it could. I got lucky and caught this unlucky snake above as he was whisked out into the gulf under a bridge. I watched him as long as I could, but he didn't make it to land. There were some surfers taking advantage of some large waves that he was headed towards, but I didn't get to see anything exciting happen.

This spit of land is usually a couple feet out of the water, even at high tide. As you can see, it's being overrun with the water. Oddly enough, most of this sand was washed up during one of the hurricanes back in 2004. It will be interesting to see how much remains after this weekend.

One of my favorite waterfront houses is this little house with the big dock on Longboat Pass. Look close and you can see that the water wasn't far from covering the dock and the porch. This is why, as much as I may like the house, I could never bring myself to live in such a place. No sirree, Bob!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...