Saturday, January 07, 2006

A Good Day For Birds, Part 1


I visited the Amazon basin today. No, wait, it was Anna Maria Island. But you couldn't tell it from all the parrots I spotted in the top of this tree. These guys aren't native to the area, but they have established colonies in the warmer areas of Florida. I'm normally not a fan of exotic species on the loose, but these guys might be a good exception. I believe these are called quaker parakeets. I was going to tell you they were Norwegian blues, but I don't think you would fall for that. Anyhow, look closely near the center of the green birds above, and you'll see a grey cockatiel. I don't know what he was doing in there. A few years ago, I got a bird feeder from my parents for Christmas. I always hoped it would look like the one below, but I couldn't be that lucky. I spotted a racoon on it once, but that was about it.

2 comments:

  1. The Blues would be no fun to photograph, they probably just sit around as if stapled there and pine for the fjords ........

    ReplyDelete
  2. These birds were clearly not shagged out after their long squawking.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...