Sunday, October 09, 2005

Here There Be Dragons


By now you've probably seen the story about the giant python that died while trying to eat one of our Florida alligators. But did you know that in addition to the non-native snakes, we also have non-native giant lizards running around? Yep, it's true. I ran across this guy down on Gasparilla Island, near Boca Grande. He just sat there on the side of the road, keeping a good close eye on me while I shot from inside the car. I knew he'd run if I tried to get out and get closer. I probably shot for five minutes before he wandered off to an area where there was less paparazzi. I did get one neat shot below where he's in mid-blink. That's always a bad thing to get with people, but pretty cool with a two-foot long reptile. I believe this guy is an immature black iguana, native to Central America, not Central Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...