Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Unkalung Music

I can practically guarantee that this record will feature something new and different for you. These ladies are playing an instrument I've never heard of called an unkalung, or more commonly an angklung. Not sure why this group has gone with an alternate name, but to my eyes they're the same instrument. (When you search for unkalung, all the results seem to be this group, so I'm a bit confused about the name. Took me a while to come up with angklung based on a description.) It's a sort of handbell made of bamboo as near as I can understand it. It's a unique sound that I don't think you have heard applied to Christmas music before. And the ladies make it all sound good. This is The Unkalung Choir-A Child Is Born (Delta DRS84-424, Stereo, 1984)

1. A Child Is Born In Bethlehem
2. 'Tis The Eve Of Christmas
3. Silent Night
4. Donkey Carol
5. Bethlehem Medley
6. It's Dark, Mary
7. O Holy Night
8. The Rose
9. He Is Born
10. Some Children See Him
11. Come On, Ring Those Bells
12. Birthday Of A King
13. The Jesus Gift
14. African Noel

MEGA

2 comments:

  1. Finally got to this one- certainly different, but the choir pulls it off! Added "'Tis The Eve Of Christmas" into my morning commute rotation
    -Steve in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was hoping this one would find an audience. It's something a little different. :)

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...