Monday, December 18, 2023

Doc & Some Sisters

A slightly odd collection of performers here, or at least some fairly random guest stars among the big-name TV preacher Richard Roberts and friends. The Seventies were truly an odd time, can you imagine this collection showing up on your TV for Christmas viewing? Doc Severinsen doing Sleigh Ride at double speed? I guess The Lennon Sisters aren't that big of a surprise on a religious show, but it still strikes me as a bit odd. And then they all get together for a big finale at the end. I need to see if any of this is at YouTube. While I go jump into that rabbit hole, please download and enjoy Christmas Celebration (Light LS-5654-LP, Stereo, 1974).

1. Richard & Patti Roberts & The World Action Singers-Arranged & Conducted By Ralph Carmichael-Winter Medley: Jingle Bells; White Christmas; Winter Wonderland; Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas; Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow; The Christmas Song
2. Doc Severinsen & The World Action Singers-Arranged & Conducted By Ralph Carmichael-Sleigh Ride
3. Richard Roberts-Monologue 1
4. Richard & Patti Roberts-Arranged & Conducted By Ralph Carmichael-Go Tell It On The Mountain
5. Richard Roberts-Monologue 2
6. Choralette/Crusaders Choirs, First Baptist Church Of Pomona & The World Action Singers-Arranged & Conducted By Ralph Carmichael-Over In Bethlehem
7. Richard Roberts-Monologue 3
8. Patti Roberts-Arranged & Conducted By Ralph Carmichael-Mary's Lullaby
9. Lennon Sisters-Arranged & Conducted By Ralph Carmichael-What Child Is This
10. Richard Roberts-Monologue 4
11. Richard Roberts-Arranged & Conducted By Ralph Carmichael-Thus Was He Born
12. Richard Roberts-Monologue 5
13. Richard & Patti Roberts & Choralette/Crusader Choirs-Arranged & Conducted By Ralph Carmichael-Nativity Medley: Oh Come All Ye Faithful; The First Noel; It Came Upon A Midnight Clear; While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks; Hark The Herald Angels Sing; Angels We Have Heard On High; Joy To The Worls
14. Richard Roberts-Monologue 6
15. Richard Roberts-Arranged & Conducted By Ralph Carmichael-O Holy Night
16. The World Action Singers-Arranged & Conducted By Ralph Carmichael-O Little Town Of Bethlehem
17. Richard Roberts-Monologue 7
18. Richard & Patti Roberts, The World Action Singers, The Lennon Sisters & Doc Severinsen-Arranged & Conducted By Ralph Carmichael-Joy To The World; Hallelujah

MEGA

18 comments:

  1. Never saw this one before! The one that I have from them is a late-'70's/early-'80s' copy of Christmas with Richard and Patti that I bought at a closeout store close to my house when I was a kid growing up in the mid-'80's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So does it have the same music, or is it a different album altogether?

      Delete
  2. Again, thank you so much, Ernie. I have been looking for all the Ralph Carmichael Christmas albums. If I remember correctly, Ralph started "Light Records" after he had been the Studio Orchestra at "Capitol Records" It doesn't appear that I have this album yet :) Some of the Albums, that I have are the straight album... not broken up into Tracks. I prefer to get them broken up.
    You are beyond awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've seen shares where people just record a whole side of an LP and share it out. I hate having to go in and finish the job for them. I try to make sure my shares are about as good as they are going to get, even going so far as to share cut and uncut sides when appropriate.

      Delete
  3. The latter. Features mostly duets between Richard and Patti. Best to try to find a thrift copy of this one; E-Bay is selling this one for 88 bucks right now! :

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/176102467730?hash=item2900866892:g:LfAAAOSwJOdlesDe&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8Gm9TewpkHIstQs6UR%2Blso92fPkzugqhsIPPz%2BmO%2BV%2FByHsLPcWZJ62gtWketP5xeO64cSv9uMXuXr%2BxpuzJcw11sFr0bLciJpQXFj9OdVtUjwftfHi0d6%2FczxmZmPz7uQ%2FLV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they're asking $88 for it, that's not nearly the same as someone paying that for it. That cover is awfully familiar, I'm sure I have it around here somewhere, though I wouldn't be able to lay my hands on it.

      Delete
  4. The Doc sleigh Ride on this is better than his cut on the Command Christmas album!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Original footage from the special!

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noA90joNI2g

      Delete
  5. Lennons great as always on their solo selection. Good Ralph Carmichael arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to go back and compare this version to the one they put on one of their LPs. I suspect it may have just been a studio cut they supplied for use on this album. I could be wrong...

      Delete
    2. The Lennon Sisters must have done a fair amount of singing concerts with Ralph Carmichael. They are also on an "Army of Stars: The Family at Christmas" 1986, Lexicon Music (part of Light Records). I don't know many other times they did combinations together though.
      On a side note, I am trying to download all the "Army of Stars" albums :) Can't wait for you to post them, Ernie :)

      Delete
    3. Those are hard to get through. I've tried, but the music just isn't to my taste. :(

      Delete
  6. Thanks Ernie. It would be wonderful, if you could also post the "Christmas with Richard & Patti Roberts" 1972 album. I only have the Go, Tell it on the Mountain track, from that album. It sounds similar, but hard to tell if they are the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe someday. I thought about doing a lot more of those TV preacher albums this season, but never got around to it.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...