Thursday, December 21, 2023

The Carols Those Kids Used To Sing

I haven't ventured outside the US for a share lately, so here's the first of two that take us to the Korean peninsula. This wasn't too long after the war that left the country split in two, a situation that's persisted to this day. It also split many families into pieces and left a lot of children with no parents. Various aid agencies stepped in to try and assist in handling this crises. One of the results was an album of Korean children singing mostly American Christmas carols, along with tours that took them around the world on what must have been the trip of a lifetime. I'd love to hear from some of these kids today to know if they have good memories of the experience, or if it was more of a dog and pony show as they slogged from city to city, far from home and in strange places. I hope it was a good experience for them, but you never know. Anyhow, this is The World Vision Korean Orphan Choir-A Concert Of Christmas Music (Word WST-8124-LP, Stereo, 1963). You can see that my copy was pretty beat up, even after I tried to clean up the cover as best I could. This was the only stereo copy I had in the archive, so I figured it was worth the effort rather than giving you a mono copy. Enjoy!

1. It Came Upon The Midnight Clear
2. Angels Over The Fields Were Flying
3. Away In A Manger
4. Praise Ye The Lord Of Hosts
5. The First Noel
6. O Come, O Come Immanuel
7. Sing We Noel
8. Silent Night, Holy Night
9. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day
10. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
11. The Little Drummer Boy
12. Jingle Bells
13. Beside The Cradle Here I Stand
14. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
15. O Holy Night

MEGA

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for finding these Ernie- Looks like they got good booking, as they appeared on the Ed Sullivan show in 1961. Also in 1963, the same year as they made this album, they backed up Burl Ives on a gospel-songs album
    -Steve in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did get around for a bit. But I'm sure shows like that loved the backstory the came with.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...