Sunday, December 17, 2023

Durstock (Not Durwood)

I'll go ahead and warn you right upfront here that this record is only half Christmas. The second side is non-seasonal hymns, but I'm including it for the sake of completeness because you aren't going to find this record anywhere else. I share a lot of things that are rare, but it's entirely possible that this is the only copy of this record in existence. Betty Jane appears to have either gone into a studio in Ohio to lay down these tracks, or she brought in a tape recorded elsewhere. The studio then cut the tracks onto a disc for her and as near as I can tell the story ends there. Except for the fact that I stumbled across this disc many years later and I recently recorded it for sharing here. Perhaps you internet sleuths can come up with more, and if you do, please share it with us. It's not the best music you've ever heard, but it's certainly heartfelt and unique. This is Betty Jane Durstock-Blest Christmas (Audiocraft Recording Co. Acetate, No Number, Mono).

1. O Holy Night
2. Silent Night
3. I Wonder As I Wander
4. What Songs Were Sung
5. Thy Word Is A Lamp
6. Fear Not Ye, O Israel
7. Give Me An Understanding Heart
8. Think On These Things

MEGA

2 comments:

  1. The most I've been able to find is a Betty Jane Durstock listed in the 1940 census. She was residing in Bellevue, Kentucky, which is across the river from Cincinnati. Maybe someone with better sleuthing skills can find more!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...